Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on heading out there Monday, targeting smallies. Any tips, ideas, or suggestions for a newb to this lake would be much appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
508 Posts
I suggest getting a free lake map at the campground office or printing one off the internet from the Ohio DNR website. On there you will find a series of rocky reefs that were installed throughout the lake. These should have smallies on them. I would try and drift these reefs and see what happens. Please post your results as I plan on going there soon and haven't been there since July.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
in my honest opinion if you want inland smallies don't waste your time on new london. i would recommend findlay reservoirs. new london is just not the same lately :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah if you don't learn that lake you'll get discouraged really quick. Use jig and pigs that's the bet there for smallies. Purple with a crawfish tail rubber on the hook.theres a few points in the lake and a couple "islands" In it also. Best thing print a map from odnr website and it'll show you where you need to go. I've heard dusk is the best time since that's when the crawfish start coming out and that's when their feeding, early morning also.
For eyes winter the colder the better, and after ice out. Both at night. Walk the shore and use you head lamp to scan the water, it's crystal clear spits possible. Anyways you'll actually see the flash of their eyes since their so reflective, use a decent size white grub with a good tail and start casting lol. If it sounds crazy I thought so to, until the guy who told me proved it! We went there in December and limited out everything 18-24". But like ever up ground resivore you have to fish and fish and fish it or you'll catch crap and get lucky every once in the while. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts