close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

making jigs

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by rolland, Nov 25, 2008.

1. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

I have 1/2 way decided to try to make some jigs this winter instead of sitting around watching TV. I was wondering if you guys have any do's or do nots when it comes to buying the melting pot and the molds. I have looked around online and I know I want a pot that has the lever to pour the lead out the bottom. Online I have found these and they all seem about the same price, so does anyone have a brand they would recomend or one not to get? Same with the molds, ive found 100s of suppliers just looking for someone I can trust has good quality. Does anyone sell these locally (NE ohio) I checked wall mart and nothing, havent made it to dicks or cabelis yet.

Also do you guys recomend the powder paint, that seems to be the "how to" on the net. I didn't know if anyone had experminted with airbrush or any other techniques or if it was a no brainer, powder paint.

tks for the reads/replies in advance. When I winterised the boat the GF made a comment on all the extra shopping $ she will have because im done fishing for the year. So I must prove her wrong and blow some cash on "winter fishing supplies" :) .

2. I cannot remember which pot I had but it worked really well and made life a lot easier. I'm sure others will give you their opinions.
    As far as molds go, get a quality mold from a known manufacturer. Don't skimp on price as you will regret not spending a few more $'s.
    The only way to go is the powdered paint for ease of application and durability.
    Wish I could give you better info but there are a group of us that get together and have a molding party and use a propane fired melting pot due to the quantity we process.

NOTE! Be sure to work in a well ventilated area as the lead fumes are toxic:eek:

3. I have a lee production pot and have had no complaints about it. All the molds i have are made by do-it, and they work great. make sure when you get lead that it is not tire weights as they have lots of tin in them and will not pour as good. as far as paint goes powder is by far the quickest and easiest way to go. I Use pro-tec powder paint. other than that it becomes addicting to always be making something with all of the new toys:)

4. rolland

rolland Fishing Noob

thanks guys, its good to know some brand names before ordering things online. The help is much appreciated.

tks, never knew that

5. I'm with Fishinfool 21. I have the exact same pot and molds. Its a great setup and you won't be disappointed.

As for the powder paint, I've recently purchased some through Netcraft and it seems to work well too.

Enjoy! This "winter" hobby can be EXTREMELY addictive.

6. I too agree with fishinfool21. I have both the Lee production pot and the hand held elec.one with the coil in bottom. I can pour jigs faster with the hand held one myself. Cabelas has a good selection of the Do-It molds also. They, to me, are the only way to go . The powder paint is the best stuff I have run across in a long time. I use a small alc.burner to heat them up with. Just make sure before you bake them you bust the paint out of the eyes. Always make sure you use 99% or better pure lead with no tin. You will get a lot better results. Have fun and enjoy.

7. One other handy tip is buy a bodkin its basically a needle on a handle and after you dip your jig use the bodkin to push the paint out of the eye works good. If any one else has suggestions on how to clear the eyes lets here them.

8. I just use the eyebusters like the ones you can get at Wally World. They only cost a couple of bucks and at the rate I break them that is a good thing.:)

9. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i am curious, what is the cost for starting up a setup like this (estimated)? as a hobby it sounds like fun and a good way for getting ready for the coming season, but i was just wondering what the startup costs are for someone new to this. just for a basic understanding, lets say the cost of the average melting pot, a couple of the common molds, maybe a couple paint colors, hooks, and a bit of lead.

i know its a lot to ask and i could probably look it up myself but im not sure where to look for all this gear or what "average" prices should be. i just thought that maybe someone who had just started this as a hobby and had already gone through the startup costs could help me figure what a similar setup would cost me.

thanks guys

10. good lead pots, from $40 up ,molds $25 up ... lead what ever you can find ..I just sold a bunch for a $1 a pound ,,I have seen it from $3 to $ 5 a pound depending where you get it,,,best bet is to ask around you can usually get it cheaper,,, some people will give it away...Hooks from $5 a 100 up

11. catfishconnection.com has a lot of molds, i,ve got a 100 pounds of lead i,ll trade off.

12. I started with the old coleman stove,cast iron skillet,and lead melted from old car batteries. Then upgraded to the something like the Hot Pot II on page 362 of BPS master catalog. $47 for that baby now. I think I paid around $30 for the entire kit back then-lead/mold/heating pot, LOL!

Anywho,the element didn't last long.I had to constantly help keep the pot hot enough with the aid of a propane torch. .

Now,I'm back to the coleman grill, same cast iron skillet,and that wooden handled steel spoon.Everything pretty much comes from BPS or cabelas and their molds are pretty good.BPS used to have that pouring wooden handled steel spoon.Not much lead melting accessories in the 2008 BPS master catalog now.

Main thing,make sure your mold is pretty hot!

When I do my leadheads,I'll pour a couple sets without hooks to get the mold nice and toasty.Then it's time for the hooks and very few bad ones after that.

After doing thousands of jigs with the old vinyl coated paint,no contest-the powder coat paints from bass pro and cabela's are the simplest and fastest way to paint them.

My process now with powdercoating jigs with BPS Pro-Tec powder paint-page 364 of 2008 master catalog:

1) Grab the jig with forceps and clamp down.
    2)Hold it into a low propane torch flame for a second or 2-depending on size.
    3)Dip it into desired color..
    4)Dries in seconds- Throw them into their proper tub.No need to worry abount banging around with other jig heads
    5) Put the eyes on after the batch has been dipped.

You will have a very hard coating and biggest burden is poking out the eyes. Walmart used to carry a red -jig eye opener -which works very well and pretty cheap.Check around the aisle with fillet knives and other fishing gadgets. If I lost mine,I'd use another jig hook to open up the eye.Cabela's powder coat paints are also very good.

Vinyl paint:Here was my old process,bonus=free buzz!!:

1) All jigs had to be painted white so all colors would turn out better. Several hours to dry.Hold the jig in the air so the excess paint would drip off,then twirl to keep paint even all around.Hang them on a bucket and space them apart so they don't touch anything.

2) Dip again for the color I desired.Twirl excess paint,then hours to dry again and making sure they didn't touch anything.

3) Color the eyes,which was with a black paint stick=let dry from 20 mins or so.

4) Dip in clearcoat/twirl off excess again, and another 6+ hrs to dry.

Total:almost 2 days to do that process for proper drying.Paint one day,clear coat the next.3 days for best results. Rocks tore up the paint on the jig heads and on hot days,the vinyl coating would get tacky and scrape off easily.

Once opened,jars of vinyl paint gel quickly. I constantly added vinyl thinner as time would lapse from the dipping and twirling.Want to paint some more a couple months later with a previously open jar,it would be gel'd up.Have to buy another jar of that particular color/clearcoat. A lot more waste of $ than powdercoat paint..

Take it from me: Powder coat those bad boys!!! You will save some major hours of labor,space, and paint fumes.

13. chet

chet

edit

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Banned

One way to clean eyes is pass a pin, needle, nail, etc., through the eye while still hot and pliable. Another is to put the same pin in your forceps or pliers, heat it and pass it through after they've cured and are cold to handle. Eye busters work, but you can do it a lot faster with the old red hot poker! Beats doing it on the lake when your hands are numb, that's for sure.

One thing I forgot to say is I hold jigs I'm painting in my fingers. The heat won't transfer to the hook unless you're heating them way too long. Good way to get em just right on heat and makes it a lot faster and easier to control the dip, hanging or whatever.

15. Eye buster was the word I was looking for on the little tool that I use. 1 drawback is,when you pop the eye,sometimes you take a little paint off the jighead. I'll try the heating a hot pin/needle technique at my next pouring.

I also got an extra turkey fryer burner laying around in the shed,just no pots. My cast iron skillet should easily fit on it and should yield a quicker heatup. Coleman stoves are ok,just makes a mess on your stove,black soot all over it,and frequently pumping up the tank.

Lots of great tips in this thread.

Happy Holidays to all OGF members!!!

16. How do you paint jigs with fiber weed guards? I know some molds have it so you can epoxy in later, but some don't. Is there any trick to this?