Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past couple of years I've read articles on people pulling nice walleyes out of the Mahoning River during the walleye spawn. I'm out of the Alliance area and once the walleye start their spawn in spring I am wondering which area is best. In between Berlin and Lake Milton (The Mahoning River)? Behind the Lake Milton dam(The Mahoning River)? What baits should I throw. Also are there any other fun species to target there? What should I use for them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
It’s a good spot for walleye but you’ll find white bass, crappie, smallmouth, channel cats, and carp. Just some notes there’s a area your allowed to fish to then it turns into private property. Also gates leading there are open from 7-3. Some older guys fish there often are a great source of information.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,085 Posts
Good points, JJ. I haven't been down there in years, but there was a time when that property owner closed his property to fishermen. He got tired of the garbage being strewn all over! As I recall his property starts about where the big rock is.

Logan, if you go down in there, you will have absolutely no problem determining which is "the big rock"!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points, JJ. I haven't been down there in years, but there was a time when that property owner closed his property to fishermen. He got tired of the garbage being strewn all over! As I recall his property starts about where the big rock is.

Logan, if you go down in there, you will have absolutely no problem determining which is "the big rock"!
Thanks for the advice! Is the way down there to take the back road that comes off of bonner

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Is the way down there to take the back road that comes off of bonner

Yep Bonner goes past the entrance to the dam / parking lot. For the small area to fish now with the private property posted it’s not worth the hassle to me, go below Milton dam and lot more area to fish, or out to mosquito spillway.

·
9,085 Posts
There are walleye all up and down the Mahoning, it's just working out access to the river. I think a lot of walleye and muskie got flushed into the river when Milton dam was breached and the lake drained. It was about 30 years ago when we started hearing about guys catching these huge muskies up around Leavittsburg.

Would like to see them get rid of all the low head dams on the Mahoning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The past couple of years I've read articles on people pulling nice walleyes out of the Mahoning River during the walleye spawn. I'm out of the Alliance area and once the walleye start their spawn in spring I am wondering which area is best. In between Berlin and Lake Milton (The Mahoning River)? Behind the Lake Milton dam(The Mahoning River)? What baits should I throw. Also are there any other fun species to target there? What should I use for them?
Dead end of rt 62 theres a bridge anglers slam walleye an white bass. Try a soft plastic or natural color swim bait

·
9,085 Posts
speaking of the Mahoning River, I saw something interesting in the paper today in the "Legal Notices" which normally aren't very interesting. LEGAL NOTICE RWQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS For a preliminary engineering/cost estimate and Hydraulic Modeling City of Youngstown Dam Removal and River Restoration. Apparently the city of Youngstown is looking to remove 3 low head dams on the Mahoning River swithin the city boundaries. Also on the docket are streamflow estimates, bank restoration, removal of sediment, etc. They want the bids by March 23, and the estimates done by July 31/ Looks like they're moving pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure this may be tied in with amphitheatre project near the Covelli Center. Whatever, I look at it as a positive for this long suffering river!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
speaking of the Mahoning River, I saw something interesting in the paper today in the "Legal Notices" which normally aren't very interesting. LEGAL NOTICE RWQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS For a preliminary engineering/cost estimate and Hydraulic Modeling City of Youngstown Dam Removal and River Restoration. Apparently the city of Youngstown is looking to remove 3 low head dams on the Mahoning River swithin the city boundaries. Also on the docket are streamflow estimates, bank restoration, removal of sediment, etc. They want the bids by March 23, and the estimates done by July 31/ Looks like they're moving pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure this may be tied in with amphitheatre project near the Covelli Center. Whatever, I look at it as a positive for this long suffering river!
Wow...very interesting. Definitely a plus in the king run

·
Registered
63 Posts
Heading home this weekend for Easter and was hoping to float the stretch from below Berlin dam to Milton where I'll take out. I have been below Milton before but never Berlin.

I know I will be dragging my kayak from the parking lot but is there room to launch before you get to the private property? I don't need a ramp per say, but I can see there's the dam and then a little bit down it looks like a small overhead damn, can I launch past that or is that into the private property? Don't want to trespass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heading home this weekend for Easter and was hoping to float the stretch from below Berlin dam to Milton where I'll take out. I have been below Milton before but never Berlin.

I know I will be dragging my kayak from the parking lot but is there room to launch before you get to the private property? I don't need a ramp per say, but I can see there's the dam and then a little bit down it looks like a small overhead damn, can I launch past that or is that into the private property? Don't want to trespass.
I have no clue.. I drove past to check it out for shore locations but a majority is private property. If there is a public ramp idk where it is

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts