Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy and I have been planning a weekend to head up to Milton and stay on the boat all night and day and really work the Lake/Mahoning and find some cats. Hoping to come across some nice channels and maybe even flathead if we’re lucky. Just curious is anyone has any good fish stories or any good advice from someone who knows the lake/river. We’ll be focusing on the main lake and just the Mahoning a little downstream from below Berlin dam. I see a lot of talk and know about the muskies/walleye/smallies around, but it seems like I almost never hear anyone mention cats. They gotta be in there and I guess we’ll find out on our own...either way we will get out there and follow up, let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
With the numbers of channel cats in Berlin....I wouldnt be surprised of numbers in Milton.
Ever consider jug fishing? I think you are allowed six on lakes over 700 acres.
In the Mahoning up towards Berlin Dam...The horseshoe bend area...there are some deep holes....near the big rocks.
Dont be surprised to find a musky or two....they like the cooler water being
Body of water Water resources Water River Watercourse
released from Berlin.
I think the discharge rates are going to go down in the next week.
Look forward to your report.
One another thing....wipers have made it into Milton from Walborn.
Try some bottom bouncers with worm harnesses as if your fishing for walleyes.
1.5 to 2.0 miles per hour

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the numbers of channel cats in Berlin....I wouldnt be surprised of numbers in Milton.
In the Mahoning up towards Berlin Dam...The horseshoe bend area...there are some deep holes....near the big rocks.
Dont be surprised to find a musky or two....they like the cooler water being View attachment 309917 released from Berlin.
Appreciate you taking the time for your input. Never tried jugs before. Good idea, but i also want to be able to feel the fish take the bait and see the hit and fight that bad boy. and I know the exact area you’re referring too which is exactly why I made the post. Noticed those huge rocks and saw some Eddy’s over there that gotta be concealing some good cover. Would LOVE to accidentally pick up a Muskie. Hopefully it goes well and I can post some pics of a couple nice Fish on here and get the low down on the Milton cats

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dont be surprised to find a musky or two....they like the cooler water being View attachment 309917 released from Berlin.
It’s 6 jugs in lakes UNDER 700 acres. Mainly because this is the limit of cats you can keep under 700 acres. You can use as many as you can over 700. However, I don’t recommend putting out 20+ jugs in a large body. The wind blows. My buddy and I have 15 nice pool noodle jugs made up between us and that seems like a good number to keep track of even though we can go more.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It’s 6 jugs in lakes UNDER 700 acres. Mainly because this is the limit of cats you can keep under 700 acres. You can use as many as you can over 700. However, I don’t recommend putting out 20+ jugs in a large body. The wind blows. My buddy and I have 15 nice pool noodle jugs made up between us and that seems like a good number to keep track of even though we can go more.
Thank you for the correction.
I heard on "Buckeye Sportsman" on jug fishing....I got my facts mixed up. Seems it would be very productive....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thank you for the correction.
I heard on "Buckeye Sportsman" on jug fishing....I got my facts mixed up. Seems it would be very productive....
It is. We built the jugs last August and went out to the north end of Mosquito to use them. It's fun. You do miss the fight though. 15 of the type that we built is a good number, because 15 fit in a 5 gallon bucket. We modeled them after the ones in the following video with the modification of attaching a cheap waterproof LED to each noodle. I think we got them for a buck a piece on Amazon.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It is. We built the jugs last August and went out to the north end of Mosquito to use them. It's fun. You do miss the fight though. 15 of the type that we built is a good number, because 15 fit in a 5 gallon bucket. We modeled them after the ones in the following video with the modification of attaching a cheap waterproof LED to each noodle. I think we got them for a buck a piece on Amazon.
Cats s on Milton seem to like blue and silver hot n tots

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.