Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here ever has purchased one of those magnets for attaching to a rope and dropping into the water to bring stuff up. It would be cool to use one of those Aqua Vu cameras to find stuff like dropped fishing rods and reels and then use the magnet to bring it back up. I know I have lost my fair share of rods and reels and know the vicinity they would be!

· Registered
172 Posts
I got one a few months ago. Haven't used it much yet. I'm kind of surprised I didn't find anything yet, I assumed our local lake was full of stuff. (Grand Lake St Marys). I enjoy messing with it, it's fun to get outdoors on the motorcycle and explore areas. I want to get out this spring on my kayak and check the areas where duck blinds are located. I'm sure there has to be a dropped shotgun down there.

· Registered
2,631 Posts

· 23rd century
151 Posts
I have a couple. Never used them for retrieving. I can barely pull them off of anything they get a good grip on. I bought them to fish in lock wall area of Meldahl dam on the ohio river. Big steel plates embedded in wall the entire length. One at each end of the boat to tie up and vertical jig for sauger, saugeye, and some walleye. They chased everyone out of there years ago. It was some of the best fishing anywhere for decades. Many things dropped over board from boats won't stick to a magnet, aluminum, stainless steel etc.

· Registered
2,520 Posts
23rd Century,
I was referring to this post
This is me testing the one I bought. I think it was $40 from Amazon. 800lbs two sided, came with rope, gloves, grappling hook and a drawstring bag to carry everything.
View attachment 503318
yours looks like it would tow a semi! are they earth magnets?

· 23rd century
151 Posts
ok. I saw that one. I guess the hook is for something with no iron. I think the 2 that I have are used in welding somehow. Funny about the bridge iron. Years ago I was anchored under the I 275 bridge east of Cincinnati in the Ohio river and we pulled up a 20 foot piece of 1 inch re-bar on the anchor. What a battle that was!!

· 23rd century
151 Posts
I did diving work on that bridge in 1973, put measuring instruments at bottom to measure the scour from the current. What a junkyard down there from construction. Not surprised about rebar, you just lucky it wasn't something bigger.
A car went off there a few years ago with a young guy in it. At first they hoped he got out. when they hauled it up he was still in it. He got pinballed around in an accident. Bad luck there missing all the supports and going over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts