close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

magnesium spinning reels?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Dingo, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Dingo

Dingo

What's the advantage of a reel with magnesium parts (like the rotor)? BassPro has an Aero Stratic MG spinning reel on clearance for a decent price -- lower than the non-magnesium models. Does the magnesium model provide any advantages? This reel would never see salt water, so that isn't an issue.

Need a new steelhead reel (wore out the quantum and older shimano) and this one seemed to fit the bill.

2. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Magnesium is very strong but very, very light. You can see a significant weight reduction by replacing aluminum components with magnesium. Are you looking at the 1000MGF? Awesome reel. I have the 1000FH and love it- the MGF is an even nicer version, if you like the lightweight. Less fatigue if you are going to carry that reel all day in a stream.

I didn't know they were on sale. I'll have to investigate.

UFM82

Oh, you are right about the briny. Don't take a Mag reel into the salt- it will disintegrate.

3. Magnesium is a very light but strong metal. And it's only draw back is it corrodes easier than most other metals. I've heard that you shouldn't use it in salt water, or brackish water for that matter. A little more expensive, but with care, it should last longer than most standard reels. As always, you get what you pay for.

Eric

4. I seem to remember a science expirement in HS were we ignited magnesium - that must be one HOT reel!

5. Dingo

Dingo

Will be getting the 2500. To be used for lakefront steelhead, so the extra line capacity will be necessary. How is the drag on the 1000 model?

6. Before you spend the extra money be aware of the line capacity. I had one, lost it in the maumee. The spools are really shalow, instead of getting another, just went back to the regualr stradic. I couldnt justify the differance in price when they are about equal!