close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mad River

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Jul 25, 2007.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Heading out to the Mad River here shortly. Gonna kayak Spangler Rd. down to 235. Got skunked last night in the Stillwater, hopefully today is better. Nice and overcast, cool temps., looks good (I hope)

2. I'd like to try Mad River myself, but not sure of how much of the river I should try to navigate on my first trip. Could you give me some idea of how long it took you to navigate the Spangler Rd to 235 section, and some idea of how hard you pushed? Thanks for any info.

3. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

I have had the worst two days fishing imaginable!! Last night, after fishing a couple hours the car wouldn't start....got it fixed.

Today, I go to the Mad. Fishing was great in the first 30 minutes....got 4 right off the bat, smallies....and I emphasize SMALL. I was using a Rebel Crayfish.

The river is really blocked with a lot of trees. I spent more time than usual steering the kayak. Then, after about 2 hours of nothing....something BIG hit...of course I was heading straight for a huge strainer in the river so I tried to paddle towards the bank. Whatever was on my line got off.

After another 30 minutes of surprisingly slow water, a fish hits hard RIGHT AT THE SIDE OF MY KAYAK!! Scared the crap outta me! You never expect a hit that close to the boat when you are about to lift your lure out of the water. He missed the lure. I cast right back out and he hit again! I got him! About a 12 in smallie, biggest one of the day.

OK, you say, what is so bad about your day? While still thinking of the last fish, kinda daydreaming, I got swept into some fast water sidways and IN I WENT!! This is the third summer with the 'yak and the first time I have tipped. Worst part....lost my paddle!! No idea where it went. Had to walk down to the nearest road, dragging the boat and all the gear, call my wife, wait to be picked up....not fun!!

Anyhow....5 fish, all small....3 hours.....minus a paddle. (I didn't lose anything else thank goodness, cell phone, keys, wallet)

Why do we love fishing so much? :)

4. Sounds like you had a hell of a time. Im sure it would have been a more " funny " situation if someone were there with you lol.