Mad River

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jacmec, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Going to try some fly fishing at the Mad next weekend. Is the 36 bridge area good? Any pointers or tips? What kinds of flys seem to work? Thanks.

2. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Larger browns are pre-spawn mode right now. Streamers such as rabbit stirps in olive,black or white,muddlers or any bulky streamer as such will bring you the biggest fish. Lots of guys go up and fish nymphs and dries but I don't mess around w/ that lil stuff any more. Put on a big hunk of "meat" to get a nice fish as browns are seriouis carnivores,TC1

3. Thanks for the info, but this arises another series of questions? Why are the trout pre spawn at this time of year? I realize that they live in significantly cooler waters, so does this makes them immune to the lethargy that comes to most fish in the winter? Also I think I remember seeing on the DNR site that there is very little natural reproduction in the MAD, do the trout still go though the motion of the spaw yet no young can be reproduced? Finally, how often is the river stocked, I can't really seem to figure that one out either.

4. Correct, Brown trout spawn around Halloween on the Mad and go through all the motions of ganging up in prespawn, digging redds and laying eggs, the problem is the silt load and the sediment movement, both tend to smother and kill the eggs off before the 11-12 weeks it takes to hatch. We are sure there is very little reproduction in a few of the tribs but never enough to sustain the very heavy fishing pressure. The Mad, Clear Fork and Clear Creek are officially stocked 1 time a year in the fall but occaisionally if they have a good spawn will put some 2" fish in in the spring to make room for the remaining 25,000 to grow out in the Hatchery. We call this the "supplemental feeding" since about everyone of them gets eaten and the Spring can be a great time to throw brown trout colored streamers, ( yellow /red, black) this only happens when they have a very high success rate on the hatching of eggs.

Salmonid

5. Oh yeah, another point on ethics, if you are lucky enough to see fish scratching and working a spawning bed, enjoy it for what it is and leave them alone. I hear all the time about folks snagging them for the fight.. real nice!!! NOT. I might mention that the peak of the spawning ocurs at the same time of the peak of leaves so fishing is usually given a pass by most guys until after Gun season and then it picks back up.

Salmonid

6. Wow... looks like I will have to read up on their natural history this winter, interesting stuff. Thanks alot.