close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mad River Trout

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnteachr, Jul 20, 2007.

1. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Caught my first Trout today on the Mad. Usually kayak, but gave wading a try today. Tough to get used to wading when used to the 'yak. Anyhow, had fun, didn't do as well as I hoped, one bass and one trout, but I was learning how to cast and get around the river. I probably scared them away before I could catch 'em.

Attached is a picture of my trout.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=26848&ppuser=10199

2. Well first off, Congratulations. Just one thing... If you're going to target trout, look in to getting some more fit lures. Trout ( especially smaller ones ) are sensitive. and barbed, treble hooks can damage their mouths. Also, since trout have very fine scales, almost catfish like skin they depend on a " slime " on there body to aid their swimming. And by handling them out of water, you can remove that "slime" and without it, they would not swim as well, and can actually die from rapid loss of body temperature.

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing my first couple trout lol. Im just giving you some pointers because Id bet money you had a blast catching that trout, and would like to continue to catch them. :D

3. Who care's when you're eating them! LOL! No I'm just kidding, It looks like he released them. Probably not funny to most of you trout guys. Bad humor.

4. lol Timmy. If he ate the trout, than my apologies. I eat trout as well as just about anything else. Thought, Im not one of those guys who will take home 50, 4 inch crappie.. I take what I will eat without wasting any resources. Trout are delicious, and fun to catch. and I hope that Fishnteach gets to enjoy the wonders for years to come.

5. I eat trout as well ,but in columbus the only trout we get are stocked ones. Those browns sure are good looking fish. It does always bother me though that most of the stocked trout are only 10 or so inches.
    I was just trying to stir the pot, you are correct trout are very sensitive fish, you've got to be careful.
    By the way fshnteachr, great catch on that trout. She's a beauty!

6. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Thanks guys for the comments. I do release my fish, just out there to enjoy the fish and the surroundings. Thanks for the tip on the barbed hooks, never thought of that.