close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mad River Trout...

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by creeksmallie, Jan 2, 2009.

1. creeksmallie

creeksmallie Member

Hey everyone. I hope you all had a great holiday. I am heading out with my brother to do some trout fishing on the Mad River this weekend. I have never fished the mad and would like any suggestions on where to fish and maybe what baits work well. I do not have a fly rod so that is out of the question. Also, we will be fishing from the bank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. creeksmallie....Haven't fished the Mad this winter but I almost always do good at the Tremont city bridge. Right under the bridge and south of the bridge about 100 yards or so. There was a feeder creek there. Don't know how high the water is but back in the fall the feeder creek was dried up. We used night crawler with a split shot just heavy enough to keep the worm bouncing on bottom. Also small spinners work well. If you need directions to Tremont ,give me a PM and I'll get you there. Just to let you know that there have been some cars broke into all along the river so I wouldn't leave some pricy things laying in your car. A buddy of mine even put a sign in the car window stating "There's nothing in here of value" LOL.....Dan

3. I have great luck with a #2 panther martin spinner. (Silver blade, yellow w/ red dots) I'd check the deeper holes and under cut banks where the river bends. The fish are kind of spread out the farther south you are. Up @ Urbana it's narrower and easier to find spots. I also like berkley night crawlers they come in a jar and will last forever. The ODNR website has a printable map of fishing spots and river access points that should be able to help you. As mentioned in the previous post don't leave anything of value in your car including change where it can be seen. I was out Yesterday and did fairly well. I got 8 fish on 11 strikes detials on central Ohio fishing report. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions Good luck and let us know how things went.

Tony V.

4. creeksmallie

creeksmallie Member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all of the help. I was planning on using panther martins. I have used them religiously and caught tons of different species with them. I will post on Monday and let you know how I did.