close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mad river trout fishin 10/4

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Hummel, Oct 4, 2007.

1. took one of my newbie friends fishin on the mad today....

havent ever fished in ohio for trout, but figured id give it a try.

caught 9 rainbows and 1 brown
    they wouldnt bite flies so i switched to roostertails....

was a great day

what sucked is these roostertail hooks were so dull....had to of missed 20 rainbows/browns

..oh yea we fished from about 5-8...right after it got dark my buddy says hes got to go find a pole he left...he took a flashlight and said he saw over 10 15" + trout.

was way too tired, but figure im gonna give night fishin for the big ones a try this week..

dang camera ran out of batteries

will have pics next time

p.s.- i know mad isnt central ohio, but i dont post on anything other then central ohio fishin on here

2. FINN

FINN Senior Member

hummel who you callin newbie. and one of yours was a chub. overall report minnows 0(1 chub), flyrod 0, roostertail 9 including a 12 inch + brownie with red spots who cleared four inches out of the water once hooked. great day and as i saw on the way out the boogie fish come out at night. other flyfisher didnt catch jack. roostertail is the way to go for trout on the mad.
    pics coming soon....

finns

3. haha im playin finn...that brownie was sweet

4. Those weren't rainbows they were freshly stocked immature brwon trout. Alot of people mistake parr marked browns for rainbows. since these fish are freshly stocked amd represent future years holdover fish it is best to leave them be if you stumble upon a school of them. Catching some of them is inevitable but it is important to hanlde them carefully.

5. FINN

FINN Senior Member

bro only one was a brown, but it gave the best fight. 8 of them were definitly rainbow trout.

6. master angler ...who are you to say that what i caught was immature brown trout? without a picture i have no idea how you can just go "Those weren't rainbows they were freshly stocked immature brwon trout."

instead you could have said...sometimes people confuse .....

i know what a young and older rainbow trout looks like...and they were rainbow trout

thanks otherwise

http://www.mattbrown.co.uk/photos/fishing/thumbs/baby-brown-trout.jpg.... baby brown

http://www.thejump.net/id/young-rainbow-trout-picture.jpg ....baby rainbow

7. oh well it was a fun day

8. Utard

Utard

9 bows and only one brown!?

Wow. That is certainly not typical. I've only ever even seen one bow on the mad. It was a large holdover from a very deep hole (and the rusty hook I was using broke before I could get a hand on it!) But the vast majority of the trout in the mad are browns and that maybe what was being referred to. Out of curiosity, where were you guys fishin? That sounds like a pretty decent day on the mad. What flies did you throw?

9. FINN

FINN Senior Member

cant give out exact spot but it was south of west liberty and north of urbana.

10. I'm quite certain they quit stocking Rainbows in the Mad several years ago. They only stock Browns now.

11. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Yeah...typical defiance from the generation that knows too much to listen.

Boys...them weren't 'bows. They were exactly what master angler politely asked you to respect and avoid. Since the Mad brown trout population depends on state stockings, you would be wise to heed his sage advice.

IF there was a surplus rainbow stocking that I haven't heard about...I'll apologize. But, as onthewater stated, they ain't put a 'bow in the Mad in years.

12. FINN

FINN Senior Member

1984 was the last time they stalked the mad river with rainbow trout. but its not impossible to hit a school of rainbows is it? well next time ill be sure to have a camera WITH batteries in it. i respect everybodys post but i still think i know the difference between a brown trout, S. trutta morpha lacustris, and a rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. until then...

finns

13. Ohio trout can be weird sometimes. It's hit or miss whether they like rooster type rigs, or a fly set up! Looks like you had a good day then, cheers!

14. FINN

FINN Senior Member

carpman do you really eat carp? i thought that was a chinese thing

15. Utard

Utard

Interesting. That was exactly where I hooked into the holdover rainbow I mentioned earlier.

You're right it isn't impossible to run into rainbows on the Mad, but Browns being the terrotorial carnivores that they are tend to wipe out the other trout species in their water pretty quickly. If you ran into a whole "school" of bows, then it may be possible, however, EXTREMELY unlikely, that some of the old holdover bows have spawned. While, I have to assume that the fish you caught were browns, simply due to stats, I'd love to see you go back and catch more and get some pictures.

16. xmatthewx

xmatthewx facebook.com/xmsdx8

either way, whether they were rainbows or browns... good job on your catch. the fact is you caught some fish, and probably had a good time doing it, and you were just trying to share that with us. so, thank you for the story.

17. Sounds like you had a good day on the river, this is one of my browns from the Mad, sorry it's a little one.

Attached Files:

18. Utard

Utard

Little?

Ha, I'd say thats just about the norm. Not the greatest of trout fisheries and I've seen few fish much bigger than that one. Ha, I've seen few fish period, but you take what you can get right?

19. For the record, there are a handful of rainbows in the Mad, all escapee from private waters on the headwaters. I take a dozen every year, most are "stocker" sized but a few push 15". It is weird because we tend to catch them in the same places year after year, something about those places always holds 1 here and 1 there. I might 2 in a day from the same riffle but I never heard of more then that being taken at the same place but it is posssible since bows are a schooling fish vs the browns which are very territorial.

PS I have even taken 4 brookies from the Mad and its tribs over the last 15 years and had 2 different clients take brookies as well. Again all escapees from ZR&GC.

Salmonid

20. Wiper Swiper

Wiper Swiper Banned

Dam...forgot about the club up North and the possibility of mavericks. I've even got a friend that belongs who has given me a couple 20's from there for the grill. I knew the resident authority would weigh in eventually...thank you, Salmonid.

I stand corrected. There is still the chance of getting a rainbow in the Mad...8 of them in one trip seems pretty remote...maybe high water pushed a flock down.

Salmonid, two questions if you've got time. Is there any natural reproduction from browns (or 'bows for that matter) in the Mad? And, did the Mac O Chee restoration project happen? Haven't made it up that way to check it out yet.