Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught & released 6 speckled trout on the Mad River on Wednesday. Water clarity was very good. Biting on red worms. Trout seemed to be holed up just below the spillway under the route 36 bridge. Tried a couple of other sections of the river north, but only caught bait fish. Wednesday was overcast, in the low 80's. Went out again on Thursday, and caught & released two more in the same section of the river in about an hour timeframe. Sunny, mid 80's. Then some guy came by with a casting net and started pitching in the current. I asked him what he was looking to catch and he said bait fish. Seemed reasonable till I see him pull the net out and put what he caught in a bag and put in the back of his car. I pressed him a bit about it being illegal to net cast for trout and he left after exchanging a few, get out of my business remarks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Caught & released 6 speckled trout on the Mad River on Wednesday. Water clarity was very good. Biting on red worms. Trout seemed to be holed up just below the spillway under the route 36 bridge. Tried a couple of other sections of the river north, but only caught bait fish. Wednesday was overcast, in the low 80's. Went out again on Thursday, and caught & released two more in the same section of the river in about an hour timeframe. Sunny, mid 80's. Then some guy came by with a casting net and started pitching in the current. I asked him what he was looking to catch and he said bait fish. Seemed reasonable till I see him pull the net out and put what he caught in a bag and put in the back of his car. I pressed him a bit about it being illegal to net cast for trout and he left after exchanging a few, get out of my business remarks.
I try to alway have a camera
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/TurnInaPoacher/tabid/17888/Default.aspx
If someone is hungry I wouldn't say a thing being a game hog I'll drop the dime ( that last statment sure does date me :) )

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I know what a brown trout is...are you calling it a "speckled trout"?... Just curious as I've never heard it called that..way to go on catchin a few!

·
Sitting somewhere fishing
413 Posts
Good to know ill be up at a house ( with gear )near the river:D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
CJ Wolfpack
470 Posts
The Mad has brown trout stocked in it, a few years ago I kept catching a 10" rainbow at rt 29 about every time I stopped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's cool my fiancé just order me a new fly rod for my bday. I might need to head up there. I use to trout fish Lot back home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts