close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mad River or Stillwater??

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Backwater, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Hi Friends, I'm taking my son-in-law canoeing next week and wanted to try float fishing on the Mad or Stillwater Rivers (I've never been on either river). Those of you familiar with these rivers, please give me your recommendation on which to try first. Also, any suggestions regarding specific stretches of these rivers that would be best would be greatly appreciated. I mostly fish for smallies and saugeye, but would love to try for some trout:) Thanks for your input..:T

2. If you want to target trout then the Mad is where you want to be - anything north of the confluence with Buck Creek. The Stillwater, on the other hand, will produce good smallmouth action - although smallmouth are in the Mad downstream of Buck Creek (the water is warmer).
    Check out the maps published by the Miami Conservancy District:
    http://www.miamiconservancy.org/recreation/boating.asp
    for good maps showing access points and dams.

3. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

Both are great rivers and a lot of fun. I kayak both of these rivers while fishing. To be honest, I would recommend the Little Miami over both of these rivers. Good smallmouth there and it is a very manageable river in a canoe.

The Mad can be to swift at times to canoe AND fish. While there are holes to fish, you spend half of your day paddling and adjusting the canoe. The Stillwater, hence the name, is much more calm and you spend more time fishing than paddling and turning. Yet, being that water levels are low, the Mad shouldn't be a problem.

I have caught a decent veriety of fish on both rivers. Good luck and have fun!

4. Mad River is an EXCELLENT stream for trout, I've caught some VERY nice browns from it. I haven't fished Stillwater much, but the times I've went I caught a lot of rock bass, and a couple smallies.

5. Try the Great Miami, call Crawdaddies for some info. a fellow there floats the Gr. Miami and does great!

6. Yeah, I love Crawdaddies. It's a small, hole in the wall shop. Where Roger ( the owner ) likes to actually talk, and get to know his " regular " customers. It's too bad he's selling the shop.