Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
wowzas, that's a beast. If you don't mind me asking, how far up the mad were you? Not looking for a specific spot, just that I fish the mad around Dayton where they are considered non-existant. Just wondering how far I'd have to go up river to find em.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
267 Posts
wowzas, that's a beast. If you don't mind me asking, how far up the mad were you? Not looking for a specific spot, just that I fish the mad around Dayton where they are considered non-existant. Just wondering how far I'd have to go up river to find em.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app
That looks like it came from up North, I have always wondered what the Mad is like north of Urbana. Is it good smallmouth water? Is the trout fishing better between West Liberty and Urbana?

Sorry off track, I got to work you some people are out catching BEAUTIFUL fish. Congrats man. Did you put it back?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That looks like it came from up North, I have always wondered what the Mad is like north of Urbana. Is it good smallmouth water? Is the trout fishing better between West Liberty and Urbana?

Sorry off track, I got to work you some people are out catching BEAUTIFUL fish. Congrats man. Did you put it back?
I have personally never fished north of Springfield on the Mad, I have spent some time on it downstream of Springfield. But from what I understand you have to get up around Urbana to get into the trout with any regularity. Between Springfield and I-70 is mostly Carp water and Down stream of 70 and the closer you get to the Miami the better the smallie fishing gets. I imagine this is because it is fed largely by springs upstream and less run off water like the other rivers in the area. This make it a cooler water river, especially the farther up stream you go. As you go farther down stream the water begins to warm which is why you see different species of fish in different stretches of the same river.

To the OP: Again that is an awesome fish... I keep coming back to your thread to see it again and again!:D

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Typically the Mad is best for trout in Champaign county, that where Urbana is the county seat. Above West Liberty the river is 95% private and below the Clark/Champaign county line the river tends to warm up enough that trout become few but strays can be caught all the way to Dayton when conditions are right.

As far as smallies, in 20 years, I have never seen one above County line road, there is nowhere for them to spawn so once you get above Buck Creek, youll see very few of em.

That's a great pic of a really nice fish? Im guessing 18-19" ? and a fat butterball female! Im jealous! what did you catch her on and I wont ask the real question everyone wants to know....;)

Salmonid

·
godukies
114 Posts
Congrats on a awesome fish! I had no idea they reached that size in the Mad. Several years ago, we set out on a journey to catch some trout and ended up near West Liberty. Even on a hot summer day, the water was so cold, our shins ached with pain! We headed south a ways and ended up catching one or two small ones.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
That brown is absolutely amazing..that had to be one the all time best fighting fish youve ever caught! Just plain OUTSTANDING!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I had never fished the Mad river before and when one of SOMA56's members put a float trip down the Mad up for bid on the clubs annual auction I went after it and won. As for location, I'm not that familiar with that area roads, etc. but I can say it was above Springfield. I started out throwing floating minnows then switched to rooster tails and a smallie crank bait that resulted in one follow by a trout about 14". I put on a Cotton Cordell blue gay blade and on the first cast, wham a 18-20" male hits it, leaps and throws the lure. That quick! I figured it was the fish of the day and I blew it. But we still had a way to go on the trip and now I'm pump knowing I'm on to something. A short time later, we come upon a log jam under a cottonwood tree root ball and I threw it in the seam off a log and wham this beauty comes shooting out scattering half a dozen smaller fish as she gobble up the bait. She didn't leap or put up a huge fight. Being a musky fisherman, I'm use to a bit more of a fight than a trout can give. I had my reel freeze up on me temporarily but as you can see she wound up in the net. She is 25". I caught one other trout about the size of by hand.
Both fish were released back in the river for others to catch. She is the prettiest fresh water fish I have ever caught.

I had a great guide and if it hadn't been for him managing the skiff and giving me excellent advice, I would have been skunked.

I don't know why they call them Brown Trout she looks like a Gold Trout to me.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Yea..Ihad to look at that fish again...just awesome baseman...and THANKYOU for releasing it!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts