close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lures/techniques for Canadian Lake Trout?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by ohiojmj, Jul 28, 2005.

1. I'm going to Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Park, Ontario which is known for lake trout. Can someone tell me what lures and simple techniques to use. I'll be primarily after pike/walleye, but can't pass the opportunity to catch my first laker! I know they can run deep at times, but not sure how deep in the September time frame. I have dispseys (medium size and small), reef runners, stinger & scorpian spoons, linecounters for Lake Erie walleye that I could throw at the lakers.

Also, how does one nab a few brook trout in cold streams?

Thanks for any tips or info.

2. Not sure how much help this will be but here goes anyway.

I took a week long canoe trip up there this spring. Fished most of the lakes we were on. I caught all my lake trout on 1/3 oz little cleos casting from shore. Hot color was chrome and chartruse. The fish were suppose to be up high in the water column in the spring, but don't think that will be so in september. I can't imagine that the temp changes drastically in those lakes. Brook trout would be found in the rivers mostly. Try a worm bounced across the bottom with a couple shot. I did not even sniff a brookie up there and do quite well in michigan for them.

I'll get back with more info when i get a chance.

J

3. I've fished Lake Kipawa for lakers in late August on several occasions. We've caught them with dipseys, & a portable rigger with spoons. We also got them on a contraption they use up there which they called a christmas tree, This consisted of a bunch of spinners & a heavy weight. We usually found them in the 40 -60 foot depth at that time of year. One thing to remember if you are going to run dipseys you will need some type of rod hoders. If you've ever ran dipseys before without the benefit of a rod holder you know what I mean.

4. Are they suspending at 40-60 or was that the bottom depth? Guess I'll look for marks in deep stuff and get spoons down accordingly. Must buy size 0 (about 6") dipsey. I'd assume they hit hard so I bring some snubbers. I usually use 20 or 30# braided on my linecounters with 15# flouro leader, hopefully sufficient for lakers yet good for walleyes.

I figured I'd bring some nightcrawlers and light gear for tossing in streams for brookies.

Thanks guys.

5. The places we fished on Kipawa were anywhere from 80-120 feet deep. These fish were suspending. We were fortunate enough to have a flasher with us which they showed up well on. I would definately go with the larger dipsey's, the smaller ones you may have a hard time getting down deep enough. Depending on the lake you fish you may lose some dipseys too. Most of the Canadian lakes are cut by glaciers, and they can have a very erratic bottom contour. I know we lost some dipseys on Kipawa where the depth went from 100 foot to 40 foot in a ten foot area.

6. We are headed up to Canada on Saturday and the lake we usually fish on is shallow and basically a walleye/pike lake. However, we are thinking about heading out to one or two nearby lakes and one I believe is deep and may have lakers. We are just using a sturdy 14' bench style boat that is not set up for trolling. If we were to want to try for the lakers it would of course be a pretty low tech attempt. I am taking several snap weights so that was my though on what to try. OhioJMJ mentioned snubbers and I don't have any of them. Would it be a waste of time trying without? I am thinking of running 17# flouro leaders on 20# braid. Would that be worthwhile? What kind of size is typical of these lakers in the shield lakes?

7. We also fished lakers on one of the small back lakes that was mostly a pike fishery. Caught a couple there as well. The lakers we caught ran anywhere from 5- 20 lbs. THey can get much bigger though. I would think you could get them without snubbers on standard rigging, but the snubbers on a dipsey are a must have for fish that big. We caught them on the back lake with dipseys without the rod holders, but that's where we learned the importance of such an item.

8. Lake trout will hit anything if you can get it in the right spot. We caught lots of them in Minnesota both from the canoes and from shore. They are shallow in the spring and fall and go deep in the summer. If it is cool in September they may be coming up shallow again. They are great fighters and hit like trains! Oh and some of the best tasting fish I have ever had.

9. I think I am going to get my boat set up good for next summer and take it up with me. The problem with it is that the cabin we stay in is a major pain to get in and out of let alone taking a trailer. I may have to do some long hard thinking during the middays next week to figure out how to make it happen.;)

10. I have been thinking about how to rig up a rod holder setup on this boat that we have up there now. I am not sure what way would be best. I tried a couple of lightweight clamp-ons last year and they were junk. I am thinking about clamping something to the seats or the side of the boat.

11. So what are the best times of the day to fish for the lakers? Low ligth hours or are they a daytime feeder? I am wondering if we would only want to try for them in the dawn/dusk hours or not?

12. It didnt seem to matter for me in Minnesota. We had to portage to the lake that we fished and it was about 10:00 by the time we got there. We fished till about 2:00 in the afternoon and caught fish the whole time, I got 9 myself in that time! The lake we were camping on we also caught a few lakers and they in the middle of the day and caught while fishing for smallies.

13. One thing though, it was early June when I was up there so the lakers were still shallow for the most part. We were catching them mostly in water 10 feet or less.

14. We never fished for the lakers in low light conditions. All our fishing took place during midday. As far as rodholders, the clamp ons are junk. You can get rodholders that bolt onto the gunwale supports. These you can put on for a few days then remove. No drilling & no harm to the boat you are using.

15. BKR, check out the Cabelas, made by Scotty, "quick draw" rod holders. Bolt directly to boat or use a piece of wood attached to boat as base for bolting/lagging as my WV hilljack buddy, Seaturd, used.

Dipseys aren't hard to use. The snubber is just another link in the big chain of components....without a rod holder, you'll develope strong arms. You'll need a pretty heavy rod. See drag as light as possible to help take the bang out of the lakers hard hit. Longer flouro leader would also help, but hinder boat side harvests. Set dipsey to snap on a good tug so you can reel in without a winch...

16. I have a couple of the Quick Draws that are on my boat here. I may pull those off tonight and do a little engineering myself.:D