close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lure Savers

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Trout, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Does anyone use split rings on their lures? Are they worth the money? Is there a cheaper substitute?

2. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Trout, most lures have split rings to attach the hook to the lure. Now if you are refering to where the line ties, most crankbaits and spoons have them already attached. Use a loop knot of your choice in combination with the split ring on crankbaits to get the best "action" from it. If a lure does not come with a split ring when you buy it, then it's probably best not to use one and tie directly to the lure, or use a "swivel" to quickly change lures and avoid line twist. However there is the possibility you will spook a wary fish with the extra hardware. That's why a lot of people tie directly to the lure, each and every time. I hope this answers your question. -Hooch-

3. The split rings I'm refering to are suppose to save your lure from getting snagged in the weeds. Its the ring that connects the treble hook to the lure. You have to match the ring to the line test. Example: If you use 12lb test line then you use the 12lb split ring which will open before the line breaks. You still lose the treble hook but you save the lure. Hooks are cheaper than lures. I was reading a review on tackletour.com in their archives section.

4. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I've hear of those split rings, but I've never used them. If you have a boat, buy a plug knocker. It will pay for itself very quickly. If you're shorebound, I would seriously consider using these. -Hooch-