close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lure makers need to make more small crankbaits

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banker, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Banker

Banker Banned

It just seems there's way too many clunky mongo-sized (obnoxiously colored like a mid 80s ski jacket)lures out there and not much of a selection when it comes to the smaller stuff (say like "small 1/4 oz", but mostly 1/6 oz and smaller)....so often a lure like the Bitsy minnow, mr twister bigysmal shad, smallest Bomber Fat A, rapala mini fat rap, yo zuri aille goby, smaller rebel craws, etc. produce extremely well when nothing else will (especially on smaller rivers).....yet there's just not much of a selection out there(especially when compared to the selction of larger lures) I'm sure there's been numerous marketing studies showing that bigger lures sell better but come on. I just know when I walk into most stores and see the lure selection I ask who's buying all these huge lures are where are all the huge fish going after them? So any other recommendations for small cranks (like 1/6 oz size)?

2. Try the ultra-light Rat-L-Traps. They come in many realistic colors, e.g. bleeding shad, shad, craw. I've only fished with them a couple of times, but they did produce.

JM

3. I know what you mean. I started using the smaller ultra-light sized cranks this year. The Bitsy Pond minnow has caught bass, bluegill, and crappie in ponds. Just today, I caught a 14 inch largemouth on it. The rebel craws have really produced for me in a small stream this year. Caught spotted bass, creek chubs, and green sunfish on it.
    The big lures have their places, but for ponds and small streams the smaller is better. They would be good in high-pressured lake if people aren't throwing them!

4. I have been doing a decent job of fishing with my Fat A bomber and bitzy minnow. I troll around teh lake in my canoe and catch a fish every now and then. I am not sure I want any more selection, if I continure to do as good as I have been.