Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went to wally world to get some lures and stopped by the dollar bin as usual and found some yum softs in there. Never used either and never even seen one.

So first question. Anyone out there ever use the mighty bug in junebug color? How do you rig them( ie. Texas, etc...) and anything produced?

Secondly, anyone ever mess with the shakalicious ultimate craw? Same as above, how to rig em and any produced. There like super skinny and was wondering if a weedless setup would work.

Lastly, rebel wee craw vs. rebel teeny wee craw. What works best. Pulled a double digit day the other day but mostly dinks on teeny . Do y'all think the teeny will produce more number where wee normal will produce more quality size but less numbers by turning the dinks away. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
614 Posts
First off those are good choices on colors.

The craw imitation baits are usually used as trailers on the jigs with skirts but certainly can be used by themselves. You can rig it on a jig head with the hook sticking out of the top but texas rigged for weedless is probably a better choice. A 2/0 EWG worm hook is probably the right size.

I don't understand why the Shakalicious is named "Ultimate Craw". There's nothing craw-like about it but oh well. It is a shaky head presentation bait meant to be used on a shaky head jig. I use a stand-up football head jig with the corkscrew bait keeper. This is your best choice for keeping the bait in a vertical presentation. Take the slack out of your line with your rod tip at about the 10 o'clock position and when you feel the weight of the jig just twitch the rod tip slightly to make the tail dance around. The worm could also be used in a traditional texas rigged presentation.

Your last question...maybe...it depends. Certain areas may only hold small fish. Sometimes the bigger fish will be deeper holding along a drop off. Obviously you can't fish those lures in weeds but they work well around rocks. If you're catching dinks change things up. Go deeper, maybe get on the bottom and fish slower with a jig or worm or fish the edge of a weed line. If you don't have them get a pair of polarized sunglasses. You'll be able to see several feet down into the water and looking for anything that's different than the surrounding area.

Good fishing to ya!

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off those are good choices on colors.

The craw imitation baits are usually used as trailers on the jigs with skirts but certainly can be used by themselves. You can rig it on a jig head with the hook sticking out of the top but texas rigged for weedless is probably a better choice. A 2/0 EWG worm hook is probably the right size.

I don't understand why the Shakalicious is named "Ultimate Craw". There's nothing craw-like about it but oh well. It is a shaky head presentation bait meant to be used on a shaky head jig. I use a stand-up football head jig with the corkscrew bait keeper. This is your best choice for keeping the bait in a vertical presentation. Take the slack out of your line with your rod tip at about the 10 o'clock position and when you feel the weight of the jig just twitch the rod tip slightly to make the tail dance around. The worm could also be used in a traditional texas rigged presentation.

Your last question...maybe...it depends. Certain areas may only hold small fish. Sometimes the bigger fish will be deeper holding along a drop off. Obviously you can't fish those lures in weeds but they work well around rocks. If you're catching dinks change things up. Go deeper, maybe get on the bottom and fish slower with a jig or worm or fish the edge of a weed line. If you don't have them get a pair of polarized sunglasses. You'll be able to see several feet down into the water and looking for anything that's different than the surrounding area.

Good fishing to ya!
thanks for the advice. I've seen the craw imitators ran with skirts by a few people on here but don't really know about em too much myself. OGF always reminds me how amateur I really am. Hehe. As for the shakalicious, I just assumed the ultimatecraw title was just referencing the color. Best conclusion I could come up with anyways.

Either way, thanks a bunch for the help. You OGF guys are life savers at times.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
698 Posts
I really like trying new stuff even more so if I can score from the bargin bin.

Anyways - when I run into something new or different I go to my friends house that has an above ground pool and play around with new lures. You can really see how the lures work. Of course you need to make sure you don't snag the pool liner, take off the hooks. With a jig or EWG hook I just add a pencil eraser on the point.

Then take that new found info to your fishing hole. I think it's really cool to know how the lure is really working.

Example - never really fished flukes until I took a few swimming at the pool. Now I know exactly they move with each twitch or rise of my rod tip. They are a go to lure now that was once a cast and change no confidence bait.

I think everything you bought will work, if you KNOW how it works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts