close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lubricating reels?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by johnboy111711, Aug 1, 2004.

1. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

what is the best thing to lubricate the gears with in spinning reels. i opened one up and saw some grease, looked alot like white lithium, but not sure. had the same texture as white petroleum jelly and wondered how that might stand up. I did one reeel to try it, but would still like to know what others are using.

2. I use Abu Garcia grease and oil. You can buy both at Kames, Gander Mtn, and also Wally world I believe.

3. I asked the same question at The Rodmakers Shop and they said "Hot Sauce" without a doubt.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

shortdrift is right, can't beat Quantums "hot sauce"

5. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

hot sauce for shimano curados? and how offten?

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I heard hotsauce was just another product being pushed. never tried it, but have heard complains about it gumming up baddly. anyone want to tell me why it's so good?

7. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

Not sure about hot sauce but used petroleum jelly one time years ago. Got my reel wet and that was it, it was so gummed up it would barely crank. Kind of made ruined a long walk back ruined while smalley fishing. Not sure what I use now, some name brand grease and oil but can't remember. Grease the gears and oil the bearings is what I do.
    Bill

8. How about when it gets cold out like for ice fishing or river fishing?

9. I been using on all food for years and it works well in hot or cold weather.

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

thanks for the help
    BTW my favorite hotsauce is Frank's :)

11. Hot Sauce---I also saw the white stuff in my reels but it was never on the gears, The hot sauce stays on the teeth. Abu oil and grease is also really good.