close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lowrance Sonar/GPS??

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Procraftboats21, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Looking to buy a new Lowrance Sonar/GPS, what do you guys think is the best model? please list some reasons

Thanks

2. I just bought the LMS 335CDF and Like it pretty well, but unfortunatly I had to ship it back for service because it doesn't beep anymore and I wasn't getting any arch's. Will let you know how the service is once I get it back. Good luck with your choice. I bought mine from http://www.jollyannsales.com/ and was fast and good service from them.

3. www.threeriversmarine.com has all the lowrance units. It really depends on how much money you are able to spend. I have the Lowrance GlobalMap 3200 (just the gps) and love it.

4. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

thanks guys, I'll check out the links

5. I have an LMS480 GPS/FF combo unit. Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with it. I also use the Navionics Hotmaps for higher quality maps. The stock map would be okay if I mounted my FF in my car, but it doesn't do much for me on my local lakes. I've had a couple problems with it over the year I've had it. First one was kinda my fault. A buddy of mine was trying to helping me out by packing up the boat at the ramp while I got the car and somehow the connector on the GPS cable came apart. Well I just shoved it back on at the time and forgot about it. Next time I plugged in the GPS I cooked the puck. my error cost me something like $250-300 for a new puck. second problem was intermittent lockup of the sonar. A software patch from the lowrance site seems to have corrected it.

Screen resolution seems plenty good for a rookie like me. I sometimes think it gives me too much into and I have to turn on the fishy symbols. I've yet to run into water too deep or too murky for the unit. Navionics Maps are a big improvement over the stock maps, but I'm not sure they're worth $130 each. If I had to so it over again, I might do seperate units. That way if something happened to the unit, I don't loose both the GPS and the Sonar. Getting a warm fix on the GPS is pretty quick ( maybe a minute), cold fix take a few minutes.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the unit, but it was a little pricey when compared to the equivelent Eagle unit.

Barry