close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lowrance MapCreate software

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewzer, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Anyone have this software for their gps or gps/sonar?
    I have many, many questions and the Lowrance people will not give specifics when asked. All they do is try to steer me to the 6.3 version which I do not want.
    The dealers have no clue whatsoever and I called at least 6 of them.

2. Yes, I use MapCreate 6+ for my X15 gps.

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Check your PM if you're still online.

4. I have the software and use it in my ifinder. The ifinder comes with a "basemap" If you want more detail and many many POI's Points Of Interest like restaurants, gas stations, etc its all in the mapcreate. I have to create a map (area) and save what I want to a "chip" I just bought the biggest chip they made a year or so ago and I put everything on it from wisconsin to maine to florida to about dallas. That is the area I drive in mostly so I didn't need much more. Some folks think mapcreate is also charting software. It is not!

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Well, I broke down and got the 6.3 version. Not by choice though. The box, cds and instructions only say version 6. Well I started loading it and guess what? It's version 6.3.

I did the complete installation including the driver and the MMC card reader will not work. It also locked up the computer with the error message:
    "WS2HELP.DLL file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtFsControlFile"

I found a way around the locked computer and uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it 5 or 6 times with the same result. Then uninstalled the MapCreate and now I cannot open Photoshop, Adaware and several other programs.
    The Scandisk and defrag programs aren't working either. Another message pops up stating some program is currently writing to the harddrive. No other program is open???
    I'm going to call Lowrance today but do not expect much from them considering the P*** poor customer service they given me in the past week.
    I guess I'll take my own advice and start at the bottom documenting the names of the people I talk to and start asking for supervisors.:mad:
    If that fails I talk with the wallet and return their software and gps unit and start looking at Magellan or Garmin.
    Anyone have a clue as to what the error message means and how to fix it?

6. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I just got it a few weeks ago and I haven't had any problems (yet).

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I think my problem is Windows 98 S.E. I going to dump that and start over with XP tonight and see whether that solves the problem.

Procraftboats21-were you able to use your own MMC card or did you have to use their small one? I have a 1 gig card I want to use so I can load the whole eastern US for driving.

8. Hey Lewzer,

In your Web Browser, click on File, then Open, then copy and paste this link into the blank box and click OK.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=31426

If you need more help with your computer in general, contact me. I'm local and can check it out for you!

9. Procraftboats21

I used the 16mb, which is the one that came with the kit. It lets me load 2 regions which covers about 3/4 of ohio. I defiently will be buying the 1 gig before spring.

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Wow, Frankie, That sounds exactly like what happened. That looks like a useful website for a computer dummy like me.

Fortunately I cleaned the harddrive and downloaded Windows XP which took care of everything. When your operating system is 4 generations old, new software just doesn't always work.

Procraftboats21, I don't know whether my 1 gig MMC card will work with 6.3. They want you to buy their LEI card for inflated prices. The card must be FAT formatted. If mine isn't I going to try to get it formatted that way somehow.
    Perhaps one of the many computer geeks on this site can enlighten me???

11. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Boy, I'm fast nearing my limit with this mapcreate piece of crap and their security precautions.
    After several days of trying to get the software itself to run properly, now it won't let me register my MMC card or the little 16mb LEI card they supplied.
    I FAT formatted my card this morning and theirs already was. As soon as I try to register the card after creating the map, everything locks up and I have to reboot. I tried to register the card without creating the map and it still locks up.
    I must have rebooted over 20 times this morning.
    I have enough memory, the process or is more than ample and the LEI reader/writer is working fine.
    Has anyone had problems registering their card and how did they solve it short of returning the whole gps unit and software and going with Garmin. I have heard of NO problems with them and customer service was excellent.
    Unfortunately, so far I can't say the same for Lowrance.:mad:

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Finally found out what was wrong with the mapcreate software.
    Lowrance packaged the old MMC card reader/writer with the new software.
    After 7 or 8 calls I finally got a tech service guy who knew what he was talking about. I had to reprogram the old reader with new software.
    He even sent me a program to reset the 5 card limit to zero.
    It works like a charm and the detailed contoured maps you can download off their website of West Branch and Mosquito will be awesome this spring and summer.

13. Procraftboats21

I loaded the Mosquito map on my GPS a few days ago and the detail was impressive. All the maps off their website are free too!

14. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

The map makes Mosquito look relatively flat. West Brach has quite a few sunken islands as well as bowls in the deeper water.
    Download the WB map. It is very impressive.