close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lowrace 87

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by bttmline, Sep 25, 2004.

1. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

have any of you seen this new ice package. screen like a vex and conventional finder, bottom zoom split screen, gps, mapping software.
    guys i my be getting one of these instead of the fl18 i wanted. you have to check this unit out.
    bttmline

2. bttmline

hey
    no-one has seen this. the ice is forming as we speak.
    bttmline

3. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Bottomline... Im not quite sure but if I remember correctly Lundy or someone did purchase this unit. The vexilars are phenomenal and I cant wait to hear reports on this.. GPS build in would be super to find those exact spots again :)

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Give us a site where we can see one. You got me curious as to what they look like.

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

I dont see an 87 (on the Lowrance site) but I think this is the product in question:

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/M68CSMap_ice.asp

and without gps:

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/X67C_ice.asp

Heres a link to an 87 from another site:

http://www.marineelectronicshoppe.com/Lowrance/X87.asp

Heres a discussion on the X67 and M68 (mostly the 67) from a Michigan site:

http://www.icefishingmichigan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61444&highlight=lowrance

I even catch Lundy chiming in on this thread: ;)

http://www.icefishingmichigan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60594&highlight=lowrance+m68

At the bottom of this page are emulators for the 67 and 68:

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

Id like to see them go toe to toe, (67/68 vs. Vexilar) good luck with whatever you get!! But I really love my fl-8 se, and couldnt ask for anything more, (I dont fish water deeper than 30' or so, so the 18 is not necessary for me, except for its low power mode, then again i havent had a use for an s cable for the 8 yet.) except if you want the gps stuff.

Wish I could help you firsthand, but I have never seen one in person. So I am just surfing the net and collecting some relevant pages. Good luck.

6. Zfish

Hard Water.. Thanks for the reminder. I watch that site in the winter months for postings like that. Lundy in my opinion is one of the people on this site I have the most respect for and even in postings like that where there is tension handles it very well.. I was really hoping he'd chime in by this point looks like I'll have to point him here. :D I should have corrected the 87 but I knew what bttmline was talking about. I had an X-87 amd X-97 Both worked great I did like the 97 just a hair better. Havent seen the Lowrance finder in action but I've been using FL-8s the last couple years and I think Im ready to move to the 18 unless someone has some really awesome feed back on the other unit. Im getting ready to check the vexilar site.. Last year I heard a rumor they were going to come out with a new model but never heard anything else on it. Only one way to find out :) Man I cant wait till ice season!!!!

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Hi Tim, Z,

As much as I love Ice fishing it's hard to come to this forum this early in the year. I still have open water fish to catch and deer to kill.

I think it's the X68C that you guys are asking about. I' perchased one in the spring to seare duel purpose. I have a regular transducer and the ice pack for it. So far it has perform really well. I'm looking forward to the built in GPS+WAAS for ice fishing.

Here's a post I wrote on it back in late spring.

Lowrance 68C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking for a new depth finder for the bow of my boat that I could use with the built in universal transducer on my trolling motor.

There are a lot of good, high quality fishfinders available today from many manufacturers that would fill my needs nicely. I wanted the highest resolution, yet really didn't want to spend a bunch of money.

I ended up deciding on the Lowrance 68C. This is a fairly small, color unit with great resolution. This unit also has screen options that give you the traditional screen view and also a flasher view option. In flasher view it works just like a vexilar except it uses lots of colors versus just 3 colors like the Vexilar. It also has infinate zoom features to allow you to zoom in on any part of the water column, My son was using the flasher view yesterday while we fishing Erie. He had a lot of fun jigging for the perch and watching them come up to the spoon and hit it. It was like ice fishing on soft water, really nice.

This unit also has GPS + WAAS mapping. This feature along with the flasher screen is what made my decision to purchase this unit. The 68C will perform double duty for me. In the summer it will be my bow fishfinder, in the winter, I will use the portable soft pack with it for ice fishing. The flasher and GPS capabilities make it ideal for both. I'm looking forward to being able to actually return to the same spot when ice fishing.

This unit with the soft portable pack, battery, ice transducer, runs around $475.00. Not bad for a duel fuction finder, with GPS + WAAS.

Kim

8. Zfish

See I knew you had one. I knew I wasnt crazy ... Well at least totally crazy :D Glad you like it so far. Im curious as to how it compares to a vex on the ice. We'll have to meet up and give our official test :D After I beat ya that is LOL.. Just kiddin.

9. bttmline

sorry guys, i meant the 67. i was going own memory after seeing it at gander.
    bttmline