close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lowhead dam removal on the tangy

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by shwookie, Aug 17, 2007.

1. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Did anyone else read about this in the paper today? They said you would be able to boat from campus to downtown.
    What do you think the effect on fishing the area will be? Will it change the type of fish there?

2. Do people actually fish there?

3. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Here is the link to the story:
    http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/co...8/17/LOWDAMS.ART_ART_08-17-07_B1_EP7KVML.html

That is great news. It's too bad they can not get rid of the others because they are covering sewer lines.....I wonder whose idea it was to run sewer lines under a river:confused: :(

I have fished through there with limited success, but it has potential. This means that anything that swims in the Scioto can now get upriver. You'll be able to catch saugeye next to the Horseshoe. It should also drastically improve the smallmouth habitat.

4. shwookie

Thats what I was thinking.

5. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

friends of mine fish down there and this could only mean better things to come. you would be suprised at what is in that section even now!

6. That's awesome....the more the fish can migrate, the better!!!

As far as running a sewer line through a river...well, I doubt you can run one over the river;)

Is there still a dam at Rich St. downtown? What are they doing down there? I haven't noticed much progress being made...

7. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Yeah, after I read my own post I realized my idiocy. I figured someone would point that out.....didn't take long either.:D

8. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

thats nice to see one going away, but I think the city needs to learn the word "reclamation".

9. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but the removal of the 5th ave damn has been talked about for YEARS...And nothing ever happens :(

I too would like to see it removed, but OSU and Battelle have a major say in the matter. Last I heard all sides where in agreement on removing the dam. However there was still an arguement as to who would pay for the subsequent sediment removal and stream restoration process. That's expensive work $$$$ that likely isn't factored in to the 1.8m figure (notice the article doesn't mention anything about post-construction resortration or sediment removal).

On the bright side I have seen first hand what some of these enviornmental/river restoration companies are capable of...And it's eye opening to say the least. Eventually that Dam will get removed, and the "OSU Pool" will have some of the best smallmouth fishing in Columbus..mark my word ;)

10. Your idiocy??? I didn't even realize what those dams were for until I read this post:D I lurnt sumtin tuhday:p

11. GPtimes2

GPtimes2 Oh Deer

The artical may make it sound a lot better than it would be (my opinion). They say you boat on it and I wonder what we think. Skiers (not), pontoons (not), bass boats (not many), kyaks and connoes (some places). The reason I think this is the 5th avenue dam is 4' or 5' tall. Removeing it without extensive dredging would leave a lot of shallow spots (think, little rapids). The artical also indicates lack of money and other needed projects. How many remember the dredging project on the sciota to bring boating activities to the sciota downtown. I think (bad memory) they worked about a week or two and quit. I believe they deemed it futile due to fast resediment, no longevity of usefullness, and to soft of a bottom (or something along those lines). I'am all for more usefull waterways (i would like to see 10 more lakes), but I will be surprised if this is one of then.

12. shwookie

Gah, watch your mouth...
    Think positive thoughts.

This is why I really like the idea. If the water is shallow enough it will keep the big boats away and let us kayakers have at it.
    Keep the big boats above the dam at griggs.

13. Before all the lowheads and the big one, people used to travel from Canada to fish the Olentangy for smallies. It was THE smallmouth destination.
    If someone had an assload of cash, there are some unbelievable things going on in the stream remediation world right now. The Olentangy would be a PERFECT candidate for a legitimate project. Unfortunately, the reality of that happening is slim to none.

14. shwookie

Let me check the change sitting in my ashtray......:)

15. I grew up behind Graceland Shopping Center 20 yrs ago and had an 85 year old neighbor who had lived in the same house for a long, long time. He told us that when he first moved near the river, prior to the dams, the average Olentangy smallmouth was about 14" and 18" was barely worth getting excited about.

A.J. McClane also mentions it as a premiere smallmouth destination in his Fishing Encyclopedia.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.....

16. I think of how good the smallie action was below Griggs when I was younger(10 years ago) and can only imagine how good it was 30 or 40 years ago... Then again, Darby isn't that good anymore....and I think there might be one dam on big darby. Don't get me wrong, darby is still good....if you have a canoe/'yak.

17. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

From that article: There are specific concerns which address how to achieve water quality and ecosystem restoration goals while considering current river use. These uses include the OSU Crew team's history of rowing in the slack water pool behind the dam and the aesthetic quality of the newly built Lane Avenue bridge.

I hope that Gordon Gee and Les Wexner aren't big fans of rowing.

18. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

What I dislike of the rowers is they would also use the pool at the confluence of Olentangy and Scioto, and they act like its their water. They have a little power boat with a 9.9hp with the coach to shout commands, and they wouldn't change course to avoid you( I know steering isn't good), I had several close calls with the rowing boats and the powered boat, and I was fishing standing still off to the side of the river, they passed within a few feet of me and gave me the meanest look. When I powered up the 9.9 outboard of mine and went passed them, the little boat caught up to me and threatened to call police on trying to swamp the rowers(lol) and interference. A bunch of rick kids wanting their way if you ask me, and I think they will put up such a stink over ruining their calm water it might not happen, OR they will get a private place in return, say antrium? That would go over well.
    Mike