close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lower Olentangy ramp near Confluence?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Steelwolve, May 23, 2007.

1. Steelwolve

Steelwolve COCC- Director

Has anyone been to this ramp before? Doesnt look like much from Google earth. Want to take my 14ft V-hull and drop it in there but not sure of condition of the ramp? Is it do-able?

2. If your talking about the ramp you can see from the 33 bridge, I think it would be fine for a boat like that. I've had a couple buddies launch thier bass boats from that ramp. I'm not sure what the parking situation is there though.

There are a couple of old bridge pilings sticking out of the water right there. My buddy told his kids that during some war a battle ship came up the river and sank there and that was it's smoke stacks sticking out of the water. lol The things that people will get thier kids to believe!

3. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

You can lauch ok down there, and parking is pretty safe, cops are always driving past. I would launch my 17 alum. bass boat there all the time(until wife had me get rid of it). VERY SHALLOW!!!!! don't go upstream at ramp, use trolling motor or main all the way up until you get to the confluence about 100 yards downstream then just be careful. Upstream of Scioto is more river like, smallmouth and saugeye, downstream to downtown is muddier, LM more than SM. I caught a 20 inch LM off the bow of the santa maria a few years back. Just be careful there, water levels can rise swiftly, once it rose almost 18" while we were upstream by dublin road lowhead dam by water works, Olentangy rose, must have let the dam out in delaware, scioto didn't change, we had a whale of a time agaisnt the current and large debris almost took out my prop, almost flipped us current was so strong. Also ramp is not for faint of heart or someone who is learning backing trailers, I drove flatbeds for years and this ramp always wakes me up,lol.

4. Steelwolve

Thanks for the replys, I did head down there and it was just as described. I am learning how to back in my trailer and I just couldnt do it:eek: After about 10 mins of trying in the dark I realized it was hopeless and had my fishing buddy back it down, he did it but very very slowly. Thats a bad feeling when you have to hand over the keys to your rig due to your incompetence:p Fished for cats all night till 3am and only got 1 couldnt find em. Thought the confluence would be prime for em but maybe they just wernt "ON".

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

You will be fine getting that boat in there. I take my 14 footer there often.

6. StuckAtHome

Its real easy to get it down there, mostly if you fall down the hill, getting it back up might be tough:)

I drove tractor trailers hauling heavy equipment for years, it still makes me slow down when I'm there, I have seen what a mess up will do too many times.

7. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Sorry to bump an older thread, but where is this ramp? I have looked and looked, but can not seem to find it. I am looking for a place to put my kayak in around there.
    Thanks.

8. StuckAtHome

9. shwookie

Hey thanks.

The trees hanging over it hid it from me, and i;ve never seen it from the road. I usually look to the other side.

Thanks again.

10. That ramp is real steep.... take is slow.... I haven't seen anyone use it without having a 4x4.... If you get in that lose gravel it makes it hard to get back up it.

Just my 2 cents.
    GarryS

11. Go to Home Rd on the weekends and just sit and watch them at the ramps. The weekend warriors with their ski boats are a riot to watch.:D

12. shwookie

Heh, i've got a 4x4, but i'm just launching a kayak from that area. I was really suprised I didn't know where the ramp was since I spent better than 6 years working in that area. I was always looking for it behind the restraunt for some reason.

13. StuckAtHome

I used a 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pickup with no troubles towing a 17" alum bass boat, BUT, I always had a few shovels with me just in case, but never needed it. They poured concrete in the gravely spots(its been a few years since down there) so its not as bad as it was, but it gets washed away when it floods, its different every time I went there but the fishing is well worth the effort!
    Mike

14. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

You don't need a 4x4. Honestly, it isn't that steep.

15. shwookie

I went over there today. Theres plenty of skinny pedal marks on it. It doesn't appear to be the best maintained ramp either.

Did catch a nice(for me) 15" sm near it though.

I also can't believe I never saw the ramp before, its painfully obvious from dublin rd.

16. Steelwolve

Yea its a rough ramp thats for sure, we did it with a 4 cyl. ranger 2 WD , it was scary but we made it. And the shape of that ramp is a good point to bring up, Being that its in the middle of Downtown and they are trying to devolop the arena district I dont see why its so poorly maintained, Not to mention its the only ramp in the area. I would love to take my family down there to watch the fireworks Tuesday from the water but its too rough for me to try again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to contact the proper City Officials to get it in better shape?

17. Its been at least 15 yrs. since I have been down there.. As long as you know what you're doing it shouldn't be much problem. I had a 1978 fish & ski back then.. It wasn't a light boat.... Pulled it with my Toyota 4-Runner.. I only had one problem one time.... no sleep and forgot to drop it down in 4 wheel drive. They must of done some work on it since I was down there....

Good luck
    GarryS

18. StuckAtHome

One note for 4th of july fireworks: Get there VERY early to launch, expect an hour or more anytime that day, and leaving you will be FOREVER watching all the idiots backing down there, and with pontoons, and I/O's!!!!! Another place to launch is Whittier ramp, lower pool. You can go north to town st low head, super close to fireworks, and you can get out and be right in the middle of the action, upper pool they don't let you south of the railroad bridge(differs each year). Lower pool gets less people and ramp id a lot easier, BUT when motoring out, stay left side of river, go downstream towards greenlawn dam, then cross over to other side where main channel is, if you don't, HUGE mud flat a few inches deep, always a few stuck each year and miss the whole deal. Also both pools, be ready when fireworks over, no wake doesn't stop the mad dash to the ramp, you'll see!!!! LOL, I stopped going when I was rammed not once buy 4 times!!!!! and they all were for position, one bump drafted me in the outboard, scuffed the motor cover. watched 2 fist fights at the ramp, countless beer bottles thrown at boats stopped and moving, if it wasn't dangerous it was more interesting than the fireworks !

19. haha, ill be down there! cant wait to see this! lol figure ill tak in some fishing from 3-9 2morrow then let he show begin!!!!!!

20. StuckAtHome

its a show alright, did it 3 years 2 different boats, 2nd time with 16ft sea nympho (lol) bassboat with 9.9 hp with 4 people, had it maxed out throttle racing in, not on plane, making BIG waves, did it to avoid getting flipped and ran over, darn river looked like start of dirt bike super cross, with waves worse than 10 foot flat bottom boat across from the beach on Sunday at noon at Alum, can you picture that?