Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be heading up to the Niagara region September 28th through October 3rd for some Salmon/Trout fishing. We figure we'll buy both Canadian and New York licenses just to avoid confusion/trouble. I'm just wondering if anyone else fishes this area in the fall? If you do fish the area, mind sharing any tips? It'll be our first time fishing there and hopefully, our first time catching some big salmon. I've got some ideas as to what to try, but I'd like to be able to narrow it down a little with some proven techniques.

Right now, the plan is to troll spoons around the Niagara Bar and maybe up the river a little ways. I've also heard that slimers are great baits to use for salmon in the river on a 3way rig. I may also try drifting some egg patterns down the river. I was thinking we could troll up the river, then drift down. Does anyone do this? Or would we be better off trolling the Niagara Bar? Or what in your opinion, is the best way to fish the area?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've fished the river 3 times during that time of the year. All 3 were with a guide. Most all of the guides are fishing between the power plant and devils hole (I think that's what they called it.....it's been a few years) in the upper section of the river. I would NOT however recommend fishing this area without a guide. The river drops as the morning wears on, and rocks begin to expose themselves by 11-12 noon. The current can also be tough to deal with. It's not too bad early in the morning, but it gets stronger every hour. Every time that a salmon was hooked we had to run all over the place chasing it, and it's not easy navigating, dealing with all of the other boats, and dealing with the current at the same time. We were using eggs on a 3-way rig with 10 lb test line. There's NO WAY that we could have landed any of the fish without chasing them down. I LITERALLY landed 3 fish over 20 lbs that we chased for 10-15 minutes. Our first year we did great (I believe it was 1999), and each year there after (2000 & 2001) the runs weren't as good (at least they weren't when we were there), and we only caught 1-2 fish each in 2 days of fishing. I know that the bar is really good in the spring, but I'm not sure about the Fall. I'm sure you can catch fish anywhere in the river, but most all of the guides (and there are a lot of them) are fishing towards Devil's Hole. As I stated, I would not recomend anyone fishing this area without at least first learning it with a guide. Even then, it would be tough.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've fished the river 3 times during that time of the year. All 3 were with a guide. Most all of the guides are fishing between the power plant and devils hole (I think that's what they called it.....it's been a few years) in the upper section of the river. I would NOT however recommend fishing this area without a guide. The river drops as the morning wears on, and rocks begin to expose themselves by 11-12 noon. The current can also be tough to deal with. It's not too bad early in the morning, but it gets stronger every hour. Every time that a salmon was hooked we had to run all over the place chasing it, and it's not easy navigating, dealing with all of the other boats, and dealing with the current at the same time. We were using eggs on a 3-way rig with 10 lb test line. There's NO WAY that we could have landed any of the fish without chasing them down. I LITERALLY landed 3 fish over 20 lbs that we chased for 10-15 minutes. Our first year we did great (I believe it was 1999), and each year there after (2000 & 2001) the runs weren't as good (at least they weren't when we were there), and we only caught 1-2 fish each in 2 days of fishing. I know that the bar is really good in the spring, but I'm not sure about the Fall. I'm sure you can catch fish anywhere in the river, but most all of the guides (and there are a lot of them) are fishing towards Devil's Hole. As I stated, I would not recomend anyone fishing this area without at least first learning it with a guide. Even then, it would be tough.
Thank you for your response. I certainly agree with your advice. I've been to the area several times (never fished it) and have seen the strong currents. We (my dad and I) have decided not to go upstream of the power plant for your exact reasons. We're planning on staying more towards the mouth of the river, where the river is much wider and the current is much weaker. Besides, with a name like Devil's Hole, I think I'd rather just keep my distance lol.

Based on what I have read, the Kings should just be starting to enter the river when we'll be there. The Coho's should be right behind them. The Browns and Steelheads should be in already, as well as on the Niagara Bar. Honestly, for our first trip, I'll be very happy if we can just catch 1-2 Salmon per person each day. If we have more sucess like you did on your first trip, well that will just be the icing on the cake.

I also read an interesting article on walleye in the river. Apparently, there is a resident population with some BIG walleye, but they are supposed to be tougher to catch than the salmon. Sounds like a challenge for Het, GJU, EZ Bite, or any of the other Erie pros on this site. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, I heard that there is a resident walleye population along with a ton of smallies. I've also read about muskies. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it went. It is supposed to be a great smallmouth area, but we're more interested in the salmon. We've caught big smallies on Erie and they are a blast, but neither of us has ever caught a salmon. Although it is nice to know that if we strike out on salmon, there are plenty of other big fish to fish for. I've read about the muskies, definitely wouldn't mind hooking into one of those, too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody know of any bait shops in the Niagara Falls area? Can't seem to find a whole lot of info on them. Also, has anyone fished the Niagara area lately?

·
Registered
16,806 Posts
Best for Muskies is the upper river above the falls around the Buffalo Harbor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts