Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out a few times recently on the lower stretches of the LMR & GMR and have seen nothing but gar snipping the surface. Zero other fish where I usually catch whites/hybrids/sauger, etc. Are the gar just spawning in tributaries and pushing everything else out? I can't wait for them to leave.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I would suggest getting some rope lures made and target the gar. they aren't chasing the other fish out, the only thing that worries about gar are tiny baitfish. I have had amazing smallie fishing under gar before. the problem is that now that everything is transitioning into summer mode, only the guys that are getting out every other day are staying on what the fish want. my best tip, first off, if you start catching hybrids in june in the lmr...well they are not there in june, you need to be in the ohio, thats where all those target species you listed go in the summer. also, if you want to get into them in the summer I suggest fishing at night. had a great trip last summer where I fished from 10-5, hammered them, couldnt get a bite during the day.
if you fish either of the rivers you listed in the summer you can have ok fishing for eyes and grrs at night, really shallow water usually, often measured in inches, try bigger baits.
good luck

·
Fishing Deadbeat
543 Posts
Yep, lots of gar... it's annoying because they strike anything you throw. They start showing up when the water gets warm and they'll be here all summer long...

·
The Fishershest
67 Posts
Funny, I fish the lower GMR and i've only heard of one person catching Gar, all i seem to catch is channels and a few saugeye but now haven't seen any eyes in my last few times out, interesting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts