close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lower GMR

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

have'nt been able to get out much,kicked some renters out and man they trashed the place and been workin' on that!
    Fished w a buddy down S of Hamilton on the GMR thinking maybe farther S might be good for bigger smallies than up N here.Nope. Only fish we've been getting are sheepeshead,wht bass,channel cats and buffalo.Must be some big cats judging by the poles being carried down to the river at sunset. Got a few smallies from a tributary but none in the GMR which surprised me w/ as nice as that water looked. The water smells better than up in Dayton and the algae is more green than brown.Averages deeper too,probably 8-10' on avg and some scary deep holes.
    There is a fish that feeds in the fast water that tips over so its' tail,which is about two hands wide,deeply forked and black,sticks out of the water while it's feeding.They must be close to 3' in length to be sticking out like that in the water I waded in. Anybody got a guess or know what they are?
    N of Dayton is still better,can't wait till the river comes down from the rain!TC1

2. those fish sound like big quillbacks. they get pretty big down there! i used to fish for big cats in the lower stretches of the GMR, you'd have a better chance of catching a shark down there than a smallie. they are there but very few and far between. too many big flatties down there, and they LOVE to eat smallies.

3. those big fish in the riffles are smallmouth buffalo, they get very big and love to feed in the wicked fast water. as for the smallies there is a good number in the lower river, nothing like the upper river but like you theorized there are some nice fish. the tribs down there are loaded with smaller fish its just hard to put a bait in front of the fish in the main river

4. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

Thanks,I'd've never guessed. Dink,I think quillbacks and buffalo are in the same family,sure do look a lot alike. We got one of those buffs' on a diving plug,about a 6-7 lb'er. Sounds like that's small.TC1