close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lower GMR Gar hot-spots?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by dinkbuster1, Jul 17, 2007.

1. tossing around the idea of going on a "Gar roundup" this weekend on the lower GMR. i have a couple areas that are notorious for Gar stealing your bait when 'cattin that i will no doubt go to but am open to opinions on other spots if anyone has any suggestions. BTW, i will be keeping them for the freezer (just got turned onto Gar meat, man its the BOMB!) so i will be helping to thin out these pests:) .

2. Don't have any spots cause you will never tell me but I am sure that Rick and I would be more than happy to go with and help out. As long as they go in the freezer in the basement.

3. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Dink glad to here they are not going to be stinking up the bank and not going to waist. White water/gmr confuluance. S

4. thanks sevenx! i was thinking about that area tonight at work. never fished there but see folks parked at the bridge all the time. figured gar might stack up there at the mouth.:) if you havent tried it you are missing out. by far one of the better fish i have eaten!

5. What do you all catch gar on? Also, I never would have guesses gar would be good eating. They have to suck to clean, too.

6. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Dink I love to fish for them but have never even given eating them a thought untill reading some post's on the forums. I may just have to do that one of these days.
    Marineman16, being a fly fisherman I use the rope flies. basically just a short peice of about 4-6 inchs of white cotten or nylon 1/4 in rope. I like the marine boat teather type. Frey the rope up to about 1/2 from the end of one end and fasten a small stainless steel ring or bind in some hard mono with a thread head and apply some epoxy to the head. You can wieght it and use it on conventional gear as well. No hook need as the teeth will tangle up in the rope. Lots of fun. Check out FlyFish Ohio A great article from Mark B. (Salmonid) on the fly and fishing it. Also check out www.garfishing.com. S

7. Could someone please tell me where is a good spot ( close to New Carlisle, Tip City , etc ) to catch these guys, what what to catch them on? thanks!

8. you wont find them this far north in the rivers. closest on the GMR is the last dam in Hamilton and i would guess the ceasars creek area of the LMR

9. Mark is supposed to loan me a couple of those rope lures, i just floated a live chub or small gill under a big float set about 2ft deep. hooking them was the big problem though. as far as cleaning them, i watch a video online how to clean them. you need tin-snips to cut through that armor they have!

10. dip

dip dip

hay dink- ax jack & mellon about the place where billy-g-whiz popped about 20 gar in one toss of a cast net.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

That was sort of funny. About tore his net up if I remember correctly.