Low Dam Construction on Stillwater in Englewood?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RNeiswander, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I drove over the dam on 40 today and it looked like they had part of the dam blocked off upstream, and then it looked like they were pumping water out. I guess they are doing repairs, but maybe they are taking them down, Does anyone know anything about this?

2. 5 rivers with ODNR is removing the smaller lowhead and putting in a check station on the feeder from the lake to adjust flows for the new Englewood Wetlands ( Formerly Englewood Lake) Off the record, its is a safety issue since 5 rivers is afraid of liability with the dams with all therecent deaths around them. This work been going on for several months now, dont know when the completion is scheduled.

Salmonid

3. Wont that drop the river like 10 ft once they get it removed? I like the idea but it seems like it will drastically change the river upstream. Are they doing anything to the one upstream of West Milton?

4. correct, it will drain the small silt laden pool there which is why they will drop the dam, 1 foot at a time to slowly get the sediment removed, 1 good flood after its all down and the river will be 100 percent different, kinda looking forward to that.

DNR has tried several times to remove the WM dam but the folks who live above it are quite the squeeky wheel and are adamant about having it stay there for recreation sake, sooner or later, they will loose that battle, just need someone to die there and it will be a done deal.

Salmonid