Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else but me noticed all the dead Crappie floating everywhere. There were at least 25 floating at the 88 public ramp today again and scattered all over the lake where I traveled. Wonder whats going on?

·
Registered
639 Posts
been seeing a bunch at atwood over at delroy end. i netted a 14" that was in the process of dying. it had some sort of parasite in its skin.

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,797 Posts
Possible the water is getting heated up with these warm spells? It's been couple days of mid to upper 80s

·
Registered
575 Posts
The fish aren’t staying 6’ apart.

I saw a few gills and crappie floating at West Branch last week that had Injuries. I figured it might be from muskie or turtles. It sounds like you guys are seeing way too many for it to be a predator issue tho.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Could be an algae bloom, and parasite spike in population. I have seen this in Perch up in Canada, riddled with black parasites. I wouldn't eat them. I did a study on hard case parasites in Rattlesnakes, back in the 70's. People claim that the American Natives, eat these on a regular basis. Totally false! My study took place at Oklahoma State university. Hard case parasites, even cooked, survive, and hatch in the duodenum. Working its way through linings of the intestine, stomach, diaphragm, and into the lungs. Causing flu and pneumonia like symptoms, if left untreated, can lead to to severe illnesses. This often goes undiagnosed, because many people think or feel that it's ok to eat things that others peddle as safe. Therefore, they don't put 2+2 together. Especially if they're from a different region.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Fish Fish Food Seafood Cuisine Fish Fish Food Seafood Cuisine I saw some at the ramp at the causeway baitshop yesterday. Thought some guys had a bad attitude and threw them away at the ramp. I see now that I may have thought wrong. It may have been from the spawn as this is known to happen from time to time but I’ll leave the diagnosing to the experts before I get everybody worked up. Only saw one floater out where I was fishing. The ones I caught and kept were nice healthy fish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This happened at Pymatuning around 10 years ago. It's probably columnaris or is also referred to as cotton and wool disease.Under the right conditions,when surface water temperatures rise quickly to 68 degrees or more when fish are spawning it can cause fish die-offs. The recent weather with snow on the weekend of May 9th and then almost 90 degrees a week or so ago is usually what causes it. Fished grouped together during the spawn, combined with stress and fast rising water temps. Hopefully it caught the tail end of the spawn and won't be to big of a deal.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,847 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Just a thought here. Has anyone checked to see if these were caught fish that were thrown back? Maybe by someone planning to keep over their limit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts