close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lots-O-Fish at Alum

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FISHERBALL, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Went to Alum Sat. PM. Started @10:00PM, fished till 2:00AM. We saw on fish finder massive # of fish. We were north of beach, south of marina, bout 1/2 cross east-west. 50 FOW. Finder showed constant 2-6 fish at all times. Most near bottom, about 1/3 of them 20'-35' down, all moving. We had chicken liver, minnows, shad( in a package from Wally World) all on bottom or 10'-15' up from bottom. We also were casting spinner baits, spoons, crawler harnesses, & a few jigs. Only caught 2 small cats. Anybody have any ideas what we did wrong? or were they just not biting??!? We saw schooling bait fish & many medium to large fish following them. Any advise would be much appreciated. My results so far this year are almost enough to just sell my stuff!! Please help!!

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Welcome to one of the toughest years I can remember. Don't give up yet. Believe me I know most everyone has had a tough year. Hey, look at it this way it has to get better ;)

4. Wild guess as to what type they were? I'll bet some were saugeye & 1 looked like a muskie on the screen. Don't know if 13 yr. old Humminbird screen would really show shape!

5. Pharley

Pharley Hook 'Em

For every good day I have posted, there have been 3-5 other days mixed in between that were hard going. Have managed usually to bring in a fish or two per outing, but it has been overall a tough year. Especially with the crappie, just could not get a consistent bite.

6. I didn't ask the right question. Anybody know how I can catch some of the fish at Alum running 35'-50' down? I'm not really gonna sell my stuff. (maybe, check next year at this time)

JRB

7. Most of those fish that you are marking I would believe to be crappie...I have found them from the surface down to 30 ft. depths...I don't believe for one second they are saugeye..Once in a while you will run into a school of suspended small saugeye,,but not often.and the big marks as Crappielooker stated,,,I would agree they are CARP, Alum is full of CARP..I have brought up numerous crappies up on deep divers...

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

the reason why i said they are carp is because of the location you said.. i believe the carp patrolled these area along with other fish in search for food, especially during the evening...

9. Thank you!! I was using wrong bait, technique for either. I didn't even think of those. Info will help next time I am out there.

10. I am not an expert on fishfinders here but I thought I would just post a little note on what you saw. I too have an older model Hummingbird FF and mine does not even show raw data in order to make your own interpretation of what you are seeing. Even the newer FF's will not give you any indication what the species is. They can give a decent idea that the size is larger than the others but that is about it. I think the expert catters with premium FF's are able to distinguish catfish by the sonar return that they get from a catfish is different than that of scaly fish. I have never experienced this but only read about it. I guess the point that I am trying to make is that the FF can be used to tell you fish are present. But it is totally up to you to interpret what they are and what they want. Unfortunately for us that is not always easy to do. I think sometimes that makes the FF more frustrating that flying blind. I guess what i try to do in cases like that (and I have had that happen many times) is once I had exhausted my options in the area I will look for other fish in different settings, perhaps shallower or on a cover break depth change, etc. Sometimes it boils down to likke you said. They just are not biting.:rolleyes:

11. BlueGill & Crappie, I have marked several in that area before and have caught both BlueGill & Crappie using a jig tiped with a wax worm.