Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
godukies
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The river is still a bit high so I thought I would mix things up and try a creek I haven't fished in for decades. Since the I remember the water being much cooler there and with the cooler evening temperatures, I broke out the waders for the occasion. First I gotta say, I had forgotten just how much more work it is to wear the waders. My knees, legs, and back were aching by the time I got back to the car. Anyway, the fishing was mediocre at best with lots of dinks, including a few I could have used for bait. I come upon what was the best looking hole of the evening and about 10 casts in, one slams my lure. It puts up a very nice fight and just as I get him within arms reach, he comes unhooked. My personal best smallie is 16", which I have tied about 4 times this summer, and I got a very good look at this one and it was clearly bigger. It was no 20" incher or even close but certainly would have been a new PB for me. :( The only thing worse than losing a PB is losing two. Sunday, I got one two within about three feet and lost it. :( x 2. I ended up pulling about a dozen fish with the best being an 11" lmb and an 11" smb. As I am wading back to the car, I am thinking to myself how nice it was to be warm and dry and not have shoes full of gravel. About five minutes later, I tripped on a large rock in thigh deep water and fell down, allowing my waders to fill with water.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Does this mean I'm looney since I was wading without waders for a few hours today? Lol

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've waded over 1,000 times and have never put on a single pair of waders, regardless of water temp. You'll be alright. Really sorry to hear about losing 2 PB in 1 trip, you don't get that kind of opportunity every day:(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
At least you weren't with House and Dandrews. They made fun of me when I poked a hole in my waders last winter. I think I got frostbite somewhere you should never get frostbite.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
At least you weren't with House and Dandrews. They made fun of me when I poked a hole in my waders last winter. I think I got frostbite somewhere you should never get frostbite.
We were making fun because you were using your thumb to plug the hole! ...and still caught more fish than us. Show off!

Reminds me of a story: I rafted the Upper Gauley years ago only to find that my wetsuit had a holes in the armpit and in the groin. When I fell in, I found out that every time I kicked or paddled with my arms, freezing water would get sucked into the suit. I think that is why I have such a high-pitched voice today.

Maybe Garrett will tell us his story about taking a bath in the Ohio River last January...

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Speaking of being in the Ohio River in January...

That water felt like a bath, but I think the air temp was hovering around 3 degrees give or take a few.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Speaking of being in the Ohio River in January...

That water felt like a bath, but I think the air temp was hovering around 3 degrees give or take a few.
Sad to say that you wont be wading that spot anymore. They closed it down to the public. I just got an email from a paralegal working for dpnl asking for fishing info and my experience. They are trying to open to the public.....it seems the epa has other plans though. Going to be a long winter for some local guys. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Sad to say that you wont be wading that spot anymore. They closed it down to the public. I just got an email from a paralegal working for dpnl asking for fishing info and my experience. They are trying to open to the public.....it seems the epa has other plans though. Going to be a long winter for some local guys. Lol

I never fished that spot but know a lot of guys that do. There is going to be a lot of pissed off fisherman.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

crap, I hit that every winter. You just bummed me out

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
I'd be happy to give them positive feedback from trips there. I fished there about 6 times from boat/kayak/& foot and had a blast. It was a very interesting place to fish over the winter with that warm water and freezing air temps. I never felt unsafe on the water although it certainly pushed out pretty fast/deep water. Most of the guys on shore that I met were pretty friendly, too. In any case, perhaps the lack of pressure this year will help produce another 17-pound striped lunker down the road :)

Sean, do you think we could paddle our kayaks across the river from the ramp on the KY side? I've certainly attempted dumber things before in my life.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'd be happy to give them positive feedback from trips there. I fished there about 6 times from boat/kayak/& foot and had a blast. It was a very interesting place to fish over the winter with that warm water and freezing air temps. I never felt unsafe on the water although it certainly pushed out pretty fast/deep water. Most of the guys on shore that I met were pretty friendly, too. In any case, perhaps the lack of pressure this year will help produce another 17-pound striped lunker down the road :)

Sean, do you think we could paddle our kayaks across the river from the ramp on the KY side? I've certainly attempted dumber things before in my life.
Yep...I have already made plans to kayak that spot. Maysville ramp is 1.3 miles to the mouth....and your looking at a quarter of a mile paddle across the river. During the winter boats wont be a big issue, and barges move slow. The current may be a big issue near the mouth, but I plan to give it a shot.

Ive paddled the ohio river twice this year so far and never felt unsafe. I won't paddle in winds over 10mph though. The big river gets awfully angry sometimes. Ive seen 3 to 4 footers in a jon boat.....I definatley learned my lesson.

You still got my number? Give me a shout when you wanna give it a shot. Things are always safer with other people. .....as your adventures have shown you many times this year.:D

Ps. Im going to reply to the paralegal soon. Ill see if she wants other dedicated fishermans info. If so ill get in touch with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts