Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm going to vent a little bit because for the second year in a row, I had a place to hunt and when it came time to go put stands out and start scrape sites, i was told i could not hunt. I know it goes that way some times, but dang it! This was the second time in a row this has happened to me. I haven't hunted since 2012 when I took my son out for his first time and was really looking forward to hunting this year. I had everything ready to go and now I'm going to miss opening day of deer season because I have no place to hunt and I will not set foot on public grounds because there's to many people that like to shoot at anything that moves. I guess I'll sit this season out and try again for next year. It just plane sucks is all i'm saying. thanks for reading me vent and I hope everyone gets the big one their looking for this year.

·
OhioPro Lure
532 Posts
Trust me it's not easy in anyway to find places to hunt these days and the public lands are tough for kids. If I did not have a few places to deer hunt with my son not sure what we would do or go. Keep asking around and hopefully something will some up for you guys hate to see the youth not get a chance to be in the woods.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
You could still bow hunt on public lands. A lot less people out the compared to gun season. I bow hunted only for exactly that reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You'd generally be safer bow hunting on public land during bow season. I will probably have to do this as well. Maybe find some land and contact the owner? Farmers and such? Doesnt hurt to ask and maybe theyd love for you to hunt.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just fyi. We hunted southern Ohio during gun season last year on public land and ran into 3 people we were on 6k acres basically to ourselves. In the 2 days we hunted it I think we saw around 20 deer? The 1 doe limit and bow crazy trend has really slowed down the public land hunting like it used to be. In fact we pretty plan on hunting public land exclusively during gun season this year since we lost our cabin that we hunted. There still is overhunted spots but theres also still alot of ground. I for sure woukdnt throw in the towel if your looking forward tongoing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,134 Posts
Mike,,,,, Do you register for the CONTROLLED hunts that are held in your area?

One of my good 'ol retired friends & his son (from Niles) get 2 deer, just about every year,,,, & they are hunting, pert-near in your back yard. (480ish)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,,,,, Do you register for the CONTROLLED hunts that are held in your area?

One of my good 'ol retired friends & his son (from Niles) get 2 deer, just about every year,,,, & they are hunting, pert-near in your back yard. (480ish)
I used to every year, but stopped when I kept seeing the same names every year after year after year.

·
Carp53.65
4,235 Posts
You could still bow hunt on public lands. A lot less people out the compared to gun season. I bow hunted only for exactly that reason.
Around here public lands are absolutely packed the first two weeks of November. It’s nothing to count 6-8 different state plate while driving around. Gun season is bad for the first couple of days but not near as bad as bow season in November.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Deer bow hunting season runs from September 26-February 7th. I didn’t say anything about bow hunting in November. For me, October was the best time to be out before the deer got too skittish from all the November people walking the woods and the gunshots. Plus you have first picks on the deer.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Around here public lands are absolutely packed the first two weeks of November. It’s nothing to count 6-8 different state plate while driving around. Gun season is bad for the first couple of days but not near as bad as bow season in November.
The month of October is one of the best times to be in the woods, especially towards the end of it.
Go deep on public land if you have to...you won't see a soul...worry about the drag or retrieval once you've killed a big one.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Look at public lands and going out less popular times of bow season (early) and gun/muzzleloader late. I grew up hunting public lands and it was always a mixed bag. The state used to have decent maps of the public lands and then I would go out with a cheap GPS scouting and marking points of interest. It's not the same as private but still gets you out there.
Good luck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Public land hunting is a great challenge. I love hunting public. When you get one on public its such an accomplishment. I hit it hard early. Like others said October is where its at. Shot my biggest buck on Oct. 24th on public land. Don't give up yet. The best is yet to come. you just never know when a good deed or hand shake can get you into the best hunting property. I stumbled into a great place last year just by being a good person and helping someone out.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I almost lost my deer spot recently when the farm sold to a newer neighbor. Hunted it since 66, my brother bought the land in the 70s, he passed on a few years ago and my SIL decided to sell. She said neighbor fella said to give him a call, did that a few weeks back and he said I can keep on hunting since I’ve been there forever. I was surprised at the offer ,I was gearing for west Branch spots I know. Lots of areas on public as long as u don’t just gun hunt only. Even then after the first few days except the weekends you won’t see many guys out. Another farmer up the roads usually lets guys in to hunt , mentioned it to another ogfer have to see if he stopped in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
after being run off by a farmer with his 30.06 I gave up asking to hunt. i hunt a wildlife preserve that I've hunted for almost 40 yrs. now I just hunt the ML season. that's something you might try on public land if you don't hunt the gun season.

·
Me fail english? That's unpossible.
1,897 Posts
Most metro parks in ohio have a good bow hunting program. Probably too late to enter now but a thought for next season. This year the Five Rivers Metro park is only open to those who harvested a deer last year because of covid.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
after being run off by a farmer with his 30.06 I gave up asking to hunt. i hunt a wildlife preserve that I've hunted for almost 40 yrs. now I just hunt the ML season. that's something you might try on public land if you don't hunt the gun season.
True less guys sometimes during muzzle season, but our new regulations now are buck only after gun season on public land for rest of season including archery. It’s ok if your not after a doe. Then you need private land to get a doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My season ended day 1 of gun with 3 deer in the freezer.... could have done it before but let a small one walk after watching it come and go for a hour or so..... but rewarded later that afternoon with a mature doe ....
I quit hunting when lost the private areas for a few years , didn't start with the bow, till I had my own .

Photography Water Fisheye lens Architecture Tree
Photography Tree Architecture Fisheye lens Panorama

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.