close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lost my original fishing buddy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Nov 9, 2004.

1. I lost my father after a very difficult few months. He got me my first fishing rod before I could actually walk, and has been fishing with me ever since. Due to failing health, he was not able to do much fishing with me it the past few years. But, he kept asking about how they were biting, and offering suggestions. I’m still surprised at how young we both were when looking at old pictures of him taking me camping/fishing. He loved to throw lures for bass, but also loved to catch a few slab crappie for dinner. Some of the best meals that I can remember were with him frying crappie over a campfire. He worked a lot of hours, but always seemed to find the time to take me fishing. When I was about 10 years old we were fishing Lake Cumberland and having a particularly good weekend with the bass. On one of the first casts of the last morning he hooked a really nice bass. He got it to the boat, and it was much larger than any bass I had ever seen. I have never been very good with a net, and the bass got away. He didn’t give me any grief at the time, but in the years to come he took great delight in reminding me of how I had lost his trophy bass (the bass just kept growing year after year). I hope that you can finally land that bass dad!

Make the time to take your son/daughter/father fishing!

2. Sorry to hear about your dad.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

my condolences.i know the feeling,as my dad(who's been gone for 34 years)and i were fishing buddies from the time i could walk,and wouldn't make a trip without me.

4. catking

catking Banned

I really am sorry to hear this Mark. I know it's tough, but it will get better. Thanks for sharing this.........

5. sorry to hear about your dad....
    my dad past on in 97...he would look at my walleye on the wall and say..
    "mmmmm that would have been one good dinner" (it was 12.2 lbs)
    fishing and fixing cars..my dad made sure my brother and i knew how to do both..
    dads are great people.....i just hope im just as great to my kids...
    fish4wall

6. Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 15 years ago, but can still vividly remember fishing with him. He had seven sons & taught us all a love of the outdoors & fishing. He used to take us all up to Canada once a year. Even on his death bed he was still talking about the muskie up there that got away. Similiar story about a fish that kept getting bigger year after year, & another small boy who was not very good with a net.

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. When I lost my dad several years ago I also lost my fishing buddy. You'll do fine though. Hook up with your friends and family and keep it going.

8. BIGG MAN

BIGG MAN JOE

my condolences to and your family

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Sorry to hear about your loss. He is still fishing with ya every time you are out though!

10. JBJ

JBJ

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. We do have our memories to fall back on. After my Mother passed away in July I became an orphan. Strange feeling.

11. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

My heartfelt sympathies go out to you as well as your family in this time of your loss.

12. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Sorry to hear about your loss. You are lucky to have such great memories of fishing with your dad.

13. My Thoughts And Prayers Go Out To You And Your Family! One At This Time Has To Think About The Good Times And Hold His Head High!
    I Have No More Grandparents And Almost Lost My Father Twice. Ton Of Good Memories! Makes Me Smile!

14. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Mark

I feel for your loss.

Remember to carry on the fishing tradition with your children and build memories that will last with them.

15. Sorry to hear about your Dad. He's in a better place now, rest assured. I lost my Mom in a car accident, she was 53 at the time. It still saddens me to this day when I think about the good times and the things we miss now because she is not here. Family and friends will pull you through , hang tough bud.

16. You and your family have my condolences, Lost my Dad a couple of years back and I still miss Him. It gets better with time.

17. You certainly have my sympathies....lost my Dad 19 years ago, but seems like yesterday.

He's still here in spirit....see him in the mirror every morning and in a lot of mine and my 2 brothers actions. It was spooky at first, never noticed the similaries, now I just say good morning and smile.

YOur Dad will always be with you....in mind and spirit....and your actions.

God Bless

18. Sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Losing your Dad is a tough thing. I lost mine 10 years ago. We used to fish a lot together. I'd give almost anything to have him along with me and my kids out on a lake. All we really ever did was bluegill fish, mostly from shore, but I think he wanted to do more, just didn't know where or how back then.

Anyway, hang in there and hold on to the memories.

19. Sorry for your loss, my prayers go out to you and your family

20. hang in there brother !!
    i lost my hunting an fishing buddy 2yrs ago !!!!
    just think of all the good times past an pass them on 2 your young'ins ;)
    mrtwister_jbo
    ps dad was with me 2night in my deer stand :) didn't
    see him but he was there!!!!!!