close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lost lower unit on my Johnson 9.9

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by gotwipers, Jun 5, 2007.

1. :( Has any one rebuilt one of these motors before? I have a buddy who said the worst part is putting the seals back in. I am looking for some helpful tips and tricks t use whe I do th rebuild. I have not tore teh motor apart yet, but teh prop will not turn without alot of force and it feels like the damage is pretty bad. If i get to it soon I could post some pics, for diagnosis and for laughs. Thanks for the help.

2. did you look for a used lower unit??? might get you on the water faster...and might save some $$$

3. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

The prop should turn freely in nuetral and not turn when in gear. I think you have a forward gear and a reverse gear down there. I replaced one and it was pretty expensive. If I remember right about 100.00 about 5 years ago. Someone might swap a rebuilt lower unit for your lower unit and maybe 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I would do it.

4. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i have rebuilt the power head on my 9.9 my self and i have had the lower unit off and some what apart to replace a few of the seals in it. where are u located at? might help some people out if u are wanting someone to possiabley to take a look at it to see if they have an idea on what the problem is

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I think you are in for a total rebuild... bearings and races for sure, the rest dependant upon what is found. There are usually a couple special tools required so unless your handy, you may want a shop to do it.