Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hetfieldinn and I hit the Lorain launch around 7:30am and was greeted by a darn cold wind out of the North (supposed to be Southwest :rolleyes:) and a good amount of whitecaps. So much for the 2ft or less!:D Started East of the harbor and marked nothing so went West and Tubuzz called us to join him on a spotty bite off Beaver. Things basicly shut down so we went looking.
Trout 7 called and said he had good marks and had caught a couple fish quickly. We went to Trout's area and took our limit from a total of twenty fish. Jet20, 120 back with large and small spoons, variety of colors. Dipsy's were not getting the fish. Lake laid down some so we tried Renosky crankbaits and caught a few. Fished 37 to 41 FOW about a mile West of the harbor. Had a good day considering the totally incorrect weather report as well as we were coming off a cold front.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Any size to those fish?
Most were very chunky '03 fish. We got into some nicer fish after we had our two tickets in the box. Of course, those were released to fight another day.

We had a very active pod of fish going strong, then some idiot in a 24'er with twin 250s went right over our spot full throttle, and they shut down immediately. We found another active pod a tad west.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
good job guys!!! way to overcome and do what you always do... find the fish!!!!

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
We had a very active pod of fish going strong, then some idiot in a 24'er with twin 250s went right over our spot full throttle, and they shut down immediately.
So, where was the lead...sorry couldn't resist as usual. :D

Sounds like you guys had a good day without me...darn...! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
So, where was the lead...sorry couldn't resist as usual. :D

Exactly why I don't pack. The barrel would never get a chance to cool down.

You should have seen it out there sunday. There was a blow boat trolling boards (under power). Not that they don't have a right to, but their maneuverability was zilch. They pinched me three times during a very short time.

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
het,all ya gotta do is dip the barrel in the water,that'll cool her down!:D
you guys are killing me with the reports but i'm glad to hear you're catching them.i'll be up in the fall for at least a week of fishing.nothing goes better with watching ohio state football than perch!

·
761 Posts
Glad to hear you found them again after that boat blew through.

Were you running the jets off boards, or just flatlining them?

Kind of figured that breeze this morning was a little chilly - hopefully we can make it up this weekend and get into them if the storms they are calling for Friday clear out like they are supposed to.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Way to solve the puzzle on a challenging day. Experience pays off again. Do you guys ever not limit out?:S

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
We squeeked out our limits, despite the rising waters. We had a heck of a time with the wind and waves, it was our first time trolling in water like that. Had to put the kicker to full throttle to turn into the wind and maintain 2.5 mph at the end.

Once number 12 hit the cooler, we left. Best color was watermellon. Unlike shortdrift, I couldnt buy a bite on Jets, switched over to Dipseys and things picked up.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
If it's a little rough out you might be best to pick up your lines and run to where you started your troll, that way you can have better boat control working it with the waves instead of against them. Plus most bites most of the time will come when going with the waves, I say it's 5-1 ratio. if you get 5 going with them chances are good you'll only get 1 sometimes none. BUT not always when it's calm you can spin around and go back through them and do just as good, I like to pick up and run instead of fighting them trying to troll into them.

·
State record bass or bust
1,810 Posts
Thats a great tip Kgone. Ive only been trolling once now on Erie and loved it. I thought I wouldn't, but I did. It sure is alot to learn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts