Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched this morning from Hotwaters. Ran out to the same marks from the previous days. The strong winds and 3-5 footers scattered the fish. Made one pass and caught one fish. Had a youngster aboard, and decided to find somewhere where the waves weren't so bad. We ran in near Beaver Creek, and set lines in 17 FOW after seeing some promising marks. Boated four nice walleyes right off the bat, then it was a sheepfest for the next half hour. We kept making circles, and ended up with eleven walleyes in the skinny stuff, along with 30-40 non target fish. Had a seven pounder, along with a couple sixes. The rest were very nice eaters. Called it a day at 12:30. Salamander, shrimp, and mixed veggies were still hot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Het you are a fish finding/cacthing machine... I would have never thought to look in 17 FOW ! , way to find them

·
Registered
123 Posts
Were any of the "non target fish" smallmouth? I see a lot of bass fishermen drifting and tube-jigging in there.

·
GT
30 Posts
Het - I believe we lauched and came in next to you on Sunday. You have the nice Ranger , white Ford? We had the 22' center consule, white Avalanche. Anyway we setup out past you to 50 FOW started marking nice bait at 12' and 25'. Caught 18. Most where very light bitters and the hooks fell out of six fish in the net. Lost four at the boat, we hardly never lose a fish, ever, and about another four came unglued reeling them in not to mention all the bites that didn't stick...... had us puzzled to say the least. Averaged 1.2 -1.4 until the front came thru, then the bite stopped 1.5 seemed to get them going again. 2oz 60 - 70' and 1 oz 70' the fish on top where difintely smaller than the deep ones, nothing over 7 lbs. Pint panties were hot and took half the fish, big blades, chartruce took some also. Maybe the big blades had something to do with the light bites, normaly they get crushed.

Great Fishing
Gary

·
Banned
544 Posts
sure got bumpy out there in the eve...ran straight off the mouth to 50fow...got setup to troll, west wind picked up big time...hell i was drifting 1.5 back toward hot waters...lost 2 big eyes when 1 hook broke off the harness and soon after on the same harness line snapped below the 2oz inline?? unreal..... actually only fished for a lil more than an hour. it was a white knuckle ride back in with that folowing sea....felt good to be back in port.

·
Mongo
515 Posts
Het,

I was just wondering what bead patterns you are using on your harnesses? Also are you running the inline boards with the spring flags on them? I have bought the conversion for mine and was wondering where to set the spring so that it will hold the flag up while running two and three oz inlines. I had to find a better way to tell when you have a 8 inch white perch or small white bass on the line. I was having a lot of problems telling if my outside boards were pulling little fish. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My best bead patterns this season have been black and chartreuse, black and orange, and orange and chartreuse.

I use the tattle flags with two #16 rubber bands hooked up to the flag.

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Would you mind posting a pic of the rubberband setup?Living life as a recluse limits what i get to see from other fishermen.;)

·
Mongo
515 Posts
Thanks Het,

I have done the best with all green or light purple beads and Copper or Gold blades this year, Trolling or casting. I like to get other prospects to try when things just won't work. Do you try to match the bead color to the blade most times or do you run a bead pattern with any color blade? I will usually run a pattern that I like with any blade. I know this year that if I am catching on copper and green beads, when I quickly change the other lines to copper blades with what ever bead pattern is on it they will not touch it, even at the same let backs. Also thank you for the board advice. That setup looks like it will work a lot easier and is more flexible.

·
Mongo
515 Posts
Het,

Where did you get the number 16 rubber bands? I could not find them anywhere I looked and the ones that I have are two strong to let the flag go back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts