Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to fish with both of my brothers for the first time in years, had them out on the boat also for the first! Hit Lorain waters at approximately 3:30pm and headed to the western edge out between lorain and Beaver in 40fow...found a small group of eyes. Water was very nice 1fters and comfortable temperatures. things were not hot and heavy, fish were not eating that great...had to go over that small pod if I wanted to take a fish, or nothing was happening over the other scattered marks. We took 3 eyes and 2 hefty sheepheads and a couple whitebass from that area in 3hrs.:( My brothers were getting bored, so I needed to do something. I heard Tubuzz on the radio, and gave him a holler...he was working an area NE of my location and found a few eyes that were eating, so after not finding any other eyes, I pointed his direction. Pulled right up to his rear and pulled an eye only minutes after setting up...took 5 eyes in that area in an 1 1/2 hrs. YellowJacket double willow blades did the best for us with 4, however lightsout and salamander took two fish each. We had a few pull backs and lost 1 at the boat, which kinda hurt...my brother was reeling him in and I was the "extreme net man" and was at the back of boat ready to net the eye when he came unbuttoned and the harness flew straight for my face and the treble stuck in my face just outside of my mouth!:mad: Overall a nice day out with the Bros and put 8 in the box. Speed was anywhere from 1.8-2.3. most fish were 3-5lbs and a nice 8lber. 2 and 3oz inlines, 65-100 back on the 2ozs and 85back on the 3oz weight. about 8:40pm pulled lines and headed in before the lights went out.

Good Luck if anyone gets out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for the report Ken! I went on a 9 day vacation to OBX from June26 until July6th (no internet) and was wondering how you had been doing. The trip we went on a month ago or so was the best Walleye trip I have been on since the early to mid 80's with my father. I had a kicker motor installed, 9.9 Evinrude 4 stroke last week and I am excited to start trolling for some eyes on my boat. The trip last month was a blessing and I learned a lot about inline boards! Blessings Don
P.S. With your speed up have you switched over from colo. to double willows?

·
(stcroixjoe)
975 Posts
Ken How deep was the hook? Thats a scary feeling always wear glasses too...

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Don, I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I've been doing good on the fishing, taking limits everytime out. Yes I have completely switched over to double willows. Don I have seen "OBX" on different things... What is that?

Hey Joe, it wasn't too deep, it had not made it to the barb yet! My brother was able to pull it out with ease.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ken,
Thanks for the response. OBX stands for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The towns that make up the outer banks are Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head in the main part. The northern towns are Corolla, Duck and the Southern Shores and the Southern part south of Oregon Inlet, Cape Hatteras National Seashore is where we like to go. Rodanthe(made a movie about this town last fall Nights in Rodanthe), Avon, Buxton ( where the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse sits), Frisco, Hatteras Village and the island of Okracoke. Over 100 miles of ocean on one side of the road and the sound on the other. Some places only a few hundred yards and a small road seperate the two bodies of water and in other places a mile or so wide. A fisherman's paradise and some call it the Sportfishing capital of the world. Needless to say I love love it there and haven't missed a summer there in over 30 years! Thanks for the trip last month and PM me if you're ever short a guy, I'd love to go out with ya again!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the report.I thought i passed you on 57,i was hoping you would post.I would like to try to hook up and get out some time.:T

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got it Don, we'll do it soon.

Reroc, PM me your info and we'll get out sometime.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get Fish,

Just looking for some advice on where to start this coming Sunday. I'm still trying to decide wether to go to Vermilion and try skinny water or work the Lorain/ Beaver Creek area on the east side of the bar. When you were working that area Sunday were many other boats out there and if so did you see many nets going in the water. I've been busy with my kids sports this summer and fishing time has been very limited at best, just trying to make the right choice on best place to start. Any info would be appreciated. The -Lundfish-r-men-

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Travis, There was about 15-20 boats out in front of Beaver NW of Lorain, and about same out in between Lorain and Avon...very few due north of Lorain. I wasn't watching the other boats much, but the radio traffic would suggest most were not do good at all. There are plenty of marks out in front of Beaver...you just have to find what they want and give it to them. I would try inline weights w/ boards and harnesses. I have been using mostly 1 and 2 ounce weights, however once I switched over to 3 oz weights they seemed to eat more aggressively. I wish I had the numbers to put you on the pod of fish I was working, but I don't. If it were me going out this weekend, I would hit the sandbar.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ken,
Thanks for the advice! Now i just got to flip a coin and see where lady luck takes me. Seems the one consistant advice I have been hearing is inline weights, worm harnesses, behind inline planer boards around 1.8mph. I'll probably start off ruggles and then move to beaver if the bite off ruggles and the castle isn't happeneing. if your out on Sunday AM give me a shout on 68 I'd be glad to let you know if I've found any hungry walleyes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Went out of Rocky River Sunday 74ft. Took 17 steelhead, 6 broke off, 7 lost at boat. Biggest 12lb 2oz. All taken on spoons copper and silver. Dipsies and 50 and 40 jets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts