Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Lorain with Walleyeguy today and limited on perch. We caught somewhere between 175 and 200 fish and sorted out a nice limit. 30fow due North of the litehouse. Many charters trolling the same area and picking up some walleye. :)

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Good job guys. I'm sure they will be tasty.

Carl

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry I didnt get back to you when you called. I didnt get your message until you were on the water. The minnows are at the state ramp on the river before you enter downtown, in case you didnt find them. Are you going back this weekend. PM me....

·
Registered
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope to be out on Saturday, at least 1/2 the day in the morning.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Shortdrift, how many dozen minnows does it usually take to get limit of perch? Do you know if the bait shop close to the Vermillion public launch has sturdy minnows? We saw a dozen boats pulling perch a little north east of Vermillion breakwall in 35' yesterday and thought I might try it for first time soon. Looked like jumbos on my fisheasyII. Thanks.

By the way, we got 5 eyes yesterday 3 to 6.3 lbs) on drifted erie dearies and spoons on dipseys in 25'-37'. Marked lotsa fish, but slow day, took 10 hours. Best hits drifting when chop picked up. Hassled by white perch on dearies.

Not familair with launching or bait shops at Lorain or I'd try there.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
For a limit of 30 perch you are going to need at least 30 minnows, to do any sorting you are going to need 5 doz

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I would figure 30 plus a few lost on the floor, couple eaten as snack by mistake, pesty white perch, nuisance walleyes, and, finally, minnow thieves disquised as a perch. I was guessing 4-5 dozen. Does one bait two hooks on a rig for double the fun? One near bottom, one a foot up aye? Hope my 16# river anchor holds my 16' aluminum boat or i'll be trolling/drifting for eyes again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ohiojmj---Lorain is pretty easy. Take Rt 57 N to 14th St and turn right. There is a public ramp there and a bait shop that opens EARLY! They also sell the minnows for $.99 a dozen. You can also get pretty accurate advice on depths there as it is owned by one of the best charter capts. on the lake!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Thanks FF668, I'll have to check that out next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts