Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched with ShortDrift and BigV this morning. Headed out to the 35 line after hearing a good report. Pointed east to troll with the rather large waves. Hooked a steel head about one minute into the troll. As soon as the steely was in the cooler, boards started going back, and didn't stop till we called it a day at 11:30. Boated thirty fish, including a 9.7 and a 9.5 pounder, which were released. The rest were very healthy fish, except for the shorty that was released.

Salamander, shrimp, and mixed veggies were hot. Leads were 1 oz 70 back, 2 oz 45 and 55 back.

Forgot the camera this morning.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Salamander, shrimp and mixed veggies spoons? I think so, but just checking to be sure. Thinking I might try spoons on Sunday.

Those waves were pretty large this morning and there was lots of wood in the water. I got caught in a mini sailboat regatta in the mouth of the Rocky River, about 20 small boats all with captains 8-15 years old learning how to sail. Talk about a fire drill -- they were everywhere and going in no particular direction! :D

SKunked at Edgewater with two big ones lost at the boat... I was only out for about an hour. Pink was the unlucky color on worm harnesses 30 back of boards.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great job. When you run your 1oz and 2oz weights. How far back from the spoon/harness do you put the the weights? I'm going to try and get out tomorrow also but out of Vermilion.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The colors given were for colorado blades. I tie my snells six feet long. So the harness/spinner is six feet behind the weight.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oh ok. You are using inline weights like Rednek if I remember other post I've read by you right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks Het. I'll give that a try. I was just out getting my rig ready and noticed my shifter boot is tore in half so I'm out of commission until I can get that fixed. I don't want to have too swim. lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great fishing Het, Shortdrift & BigV, not sure how far out the 35 line is, it'll be a toss-up between there and edgewater over the next week, especially with the upcoming forecast.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Great fishing and thanks for the report. Hoping to get out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What kind of depth are you at running at 70' foot back with 1 ounce and 45' with 2 ounce? What is the formula for figuring this out? I know speed is a factor as well. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of depth are you at running at 70' foot back with 1 ounce and 45' with 2 ounce? What is the formula for figuring this out? I know speed is a factor as well. Thanks

I can only guess that at 1.5 one ounce 70 back is probably running around 20-25 feet deep. 2 ounce about the same. I have the dive chart in the boat, but never look at it. I was marking fish between 20-30 feet, so I just fool around with the leads until I dial them in, and change the other accordingly.

·
BigV
1,135 Posts
Launched with ShortDrift and BigV this morning. Headed out to the 35 line after hearing a good report. Pointed east to troll with the rather large waves. Hooked a steel head about one minute into the troll. As soon as the steely was in the cooler, boards started going back, and didn't stop till we called it a day at 11:30. Boated thirty fish, including a 9.7 and a 9.5 pounder, which were released. The rest were very healthy fish, except for the shorty that was released.

Salamander, shrimp, and mixed veggies were hot. Leads were 1 oz 70 back, 2 oz 45 and 55 back.

Forgot the camera this morning.
Het...
Thanks for the outing Friday. I had a great time.
Too bad you left your camera at home as I would have looked good holding that big fat steelie!
My forearms are still aching from reeling in all those slobs.
I wonder if Shortdrift feels sore from those giant sheep-head he reeled in...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Correct. I've been using the ******* weights a lot lately. They've been working well.
Het, or anyone fishing ******* weighs. Do you put the hook on the weight itself also, and does that work? Or just another hook to get tangled in the net. Do you stick with a basic flat color like purple? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The ones I got already had the hook(s) on them. I've tried all the colors, and they all work. I really don't think that the colors of the weight make a whole lot of difference. I don't try to match the color of the weight to the color of the harness. I just grab stuff and get it in the water.

·
Registered
11,400 Posts
Het...
Thanks for the outing Friday. I had a great time.
Too bad you left your camera at home as I would have looked good holding that big fat steelie!
My forearms are still aching from reeling in all those slobs.
I wonder if Shortdrift feels sore from those giant sheep-head he reeled in...
My arm's recooperated once I took off that sheephead colored blade that was handed to me:rolleyes::p:D. Was a real treat to have someine else run the show. Thanks Steve. Great funfishing with both of you.:) Oh, btw Big V, did your wet pants dry out befor you got home?:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
The ones I got already had the hook(s) on them. I've tried all the colors, and they all work. I really don't think that the colors of the weight make a whole lot of difference. I don't try to match the color of the weight to the color of the harness. I just grab stuff and get it in the water.
Het, have you caught any walleyes on the hook on the actual weight? Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts