Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in to work this morning and had 3 quick meetings and headed out around 1030. Made the long run to lorain in 3-5's and set up shop. The wind was really blowing hard, could not get below 2mph with the waves to my stern, and they were rolling a bit too much to be going any other direction comfortably. Screwed around pulling inline boards, jets, and harnesses for an hour or two which was a royal waste of time, as the boards were just flying off the waves. Then I remembered my friend matt let me borrow two dipsies a while back, and they were still in my boat. I don't own any dipsies yet and have zero experience running them myself. I figured what the heck, as they wouldn't be subjected to the waves on the surface. I do have the precision trolling books, however I didn't know which number dipsies they were, so I just experimented. Persistence paid off , as I finally found the sweet spot, 3 setting 90 back with double willow blade purple harness got my 6 fish in about 45 minutes. It was a bit of work out there today, but it paid off!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I agree.. Running 6 rods in 3-5's is always difficult for 1 person.
“You agree, by registering with the Ohio Game Fishing forums, and (or) through your use of the Ohio Game Fishing forums, that you will not use this message board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, race discrimination, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.”

“Conduct: No obscenities, personal attacks, character assassination, etc. will be tolerated. Bad-Mouthing, slander, or obscene words of other Internet websites will not be permitted. Any posts of this nature will be removed immediately. Posts with the sole intention of causing problems on the forums, will not be tolerated.”

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/faq.php

You know, enough is enough with this Reno Guy. This here post is in clear violation of TOS. Hopefully the Moderators feel the same here!

Lightman, and everyone else, just ignore this guy, post over him like he doesn’t exist! Nothing good will ever come out dealing with this kind of BS!

Way to go Lightman! Dipsies are a deadly weapon. I’ll put them out next time out. Things are changing - the sheapheads are on a prowl, it was bad enough dealing with white perch, and white bass, but this things are vicious. We must’ve caught over 50 of them the last couple of times out. I got some ideas that might just keep them off my lines!

You and I have to have a Long Talk about diesels. I’ll call you as soon as I wrap up what I’m doing right now.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Reno......ssshhhhhhhhhh.

Whatever has you psssssssssed off.....let it go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We Picked up a Few Nice Eyes Thanks Bob Had fun even with the FREE SAOKING WE took it was still Fun ...
My First experience with Big Waves. WOW What a Soaker ...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reno......ssshhhhhhhhhh.

Whatever has you psssssssssed off.....let it go.

Bob, jealousy is a tough pill for some to swallow.

Thanks guys, it was def tough dealing with the conditions and making it happen. I think yesterday was enough to convince me I need to get some dipsies and learn how to use them!

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
reno,check your pm's.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've had a love/hate affair with dipsys for years. On my boat when they're hot they're hot and when they're not they're not. Great thing about them though is the ability to make adjustments quickly. You did that and struck gold. Nice going!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Lskater. I also like eliminating the step of taking the board off as well. Looks like I still have some learning to do when it comes to using them though...they kept hitting my outside line, and I wasn't sure if it would tangle the inside line or not, so I always quickly popped the inside dipsy and reeled it about halfway in before putting it in the rodholder on the other side of the boat. Eventually I just ran one on each side of the boat on the same setting , rather than two next to each other which I thought made it easier to read the rod tips. What am I missing, what's the best way to make sure they clear each other?

·
Banned
99 Posts
2 rods? If so... Set 1 at #3 right and the other #3 left keep as far apart as possible without having to wrench your neck.

4 rods...

1 = #3 right
2 = #1 right
3 = #1 left
4 = #3 left

outside rods should be set deeper than the inside rods..

not sure about 6 rods, never made it that far

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What, now you want to try to help after trashing me endlessly, including in this thread? Thanks but that doesn't answer my question anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Went in to work this morning and had 3 quick meetings and headed out around 1030. Made the long run to lorain in 3-5's and set up shop. The wind was really blowing hard, could not get below 2mph with the waves to my stern, and they were rolling a bit too much to be going any other direction comfortably. Screwed around pulling inline boards, jets, and harnesses for an hour or two which was a royal waste of time, as the boards were just flying off the waves. Then I remembered my friend matt let me borrow two dipsies a while back, and they were still in my boat. I don't own any dipsies yet and have zero experience running them myself. I figured what the heck, as they wouldn't be subjected to the waves on the surface. I do have the precision trolling books, however I didn't know which number dipsies they were, so I just experimented. Persistence paid off , as I finally found the sweet spot, 3 setting 90 back with double willow blade purple harness got my 6 fish in about 45 minutes. It was a bit of work out there today, but it paid off!
I just started using dipsies myself this year. They are awesome. So much easier than pulling boards off of your lines.

·
Tom B.
3,885 Posts
Lightman: Nice going again. Your persistence shows in your consistent catches.

Reno: Even if you didn't answer his question, perhaps your finally going to start being a contributor to this site instead of a PITA. I would never even think some of the crap you've been posting, let alone put it out in cyberspace for the world to see.

·
Tom B.
3,885 Posts
It'll generally clear no problem when they hit the outside rod. When the fish pops the dipsy it'll usually come up and back right away to clear up and over the inside line. Even if it doesn't pop, the fish usually causes the dipsey to rise enough to clear. I usually try to run my outside dipsys on the same or slightly longer leads as the inside ones. If I'm searching for productive depth I'll sometimes run the outside one's shorter, but try to keep turns to the absolute minimum in that instance.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It'll generally clear no problem when they hit the outside rod. When the fish pops the dipsy it'll usually come up and back right away to clear up and over the inside line. Even if it doesn't pop, the fish usually causes the dipsey to rise enough to clear. I usually try to run my outside dipsys on the same or slightly longer leads as the inside ones. If I'm searching for productive depth I'll sometimes run the outside one's shorter, but try to keep turns to the absolute minimum in that instance.
Thanks Tom, that helps. I was running my outside on a 3 setting 90 back, and inside on a 1 setting 70 back or so. I wasn't really sure where each was running depth wise as I wasn't sure which dipsy I had versus the chart. I now know they were #1's. That said, looking at the chart didn't really help much, as the chart was some 10 feet shallower than where mine were actually running, as I hit bottom and picked up some weeds a couple times when planning to be about 8-10 feet off the bottom. Oh well, I just played with them shortening leads once I got to the bottom until the one started hitting like crazy. I'll give it a shot the next time one hits and try to pop the outside dipsy and see if it clears. I just hate tangles.

·
Tom B.
3,885 Posts
That said, looking at the chart didn't really help much, as the chart was some 10 feet shallower than where mine were actually running, as I hit bottom and picked up some weeds a couple times when planning to be about 8-10 feet off the bottom.
That's odd, those charts have always seemed to be pretty close for me. Although, many more experienced fisherman have said I put too much stock in them. No matter, you figured out what needed to be done and caught fish ----- that's all that matters.

If it helps think of the dipsy like an inline board under water. Crank slower at first to allow the fish to pull up and over the inside lines and back behind the boat.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perhaps the speed difference is part of the deal, I was 2.0-2.4mph gps speed. I noticed on the #0 dipsies the chart does say 2.5mph, however for the #1's it didn't. Also the closest chart to my setup was #1 dipsy with standard ring 30lb braid, and I'm running 40lb braid, perhaps slightly different.

Tom I guess in the end you're right - I noticed at what length I started ticking bottom and brought it up from there, which got the job done. The odd mystery of the 'hot side of the boat' continues though - once I duplicated the 3 setting 90 back on the other side of the boat, all the fish continued to come on the stbd side - both had similar colored harnesses as well. Odd how some days all the fish seem to come on one side of the boat or the other.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts