Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went ot of Hotwaters this morning...started a little later than I wanted. Hit the water about 7AM and talked with tubuzz on the radio and got a good peice of info where to start :D Needless to say I am very greatful for his info. I had lines in the water by 7:30AM and took a 9.7 lber right off the bat. Continued working that area and picked up another about 30 minutes later. Tubuzz gave me another shout on the radio as to where he had just picked up a couple back to back, so I moved over to where he was and it was ON! Began picking them up in a quick order...6 by 9:30AM, played out there a little while longer and boated another 6 by 11:45AM. I wish I could've run more than 2 rods (I hate this 2 rod per person rule).

Thanks again Tubuzz! Also got to talk with Wannabitawerm (Sam) who was out with Tubuzz.

As far as program goes, the water was great...so it didn't matter which direction you trolled. Speed was about 1.7-2.1, used inline boards, with inline weights 2oz, with double willows (I think it is called yellow jacket) with chart. beads. That blade took every fish! Ran the inline weights 70- 75' back mostly and dropped it down a couple times 100' back. Here is a few photos of the catch and day....

Attachments

G

·
It was a great day. We had 12 by 10:30am with one throw back (doubles at the end). I think Sam was going to post something? Glad I could help. Lost the most fish today. Did try something new to me. When I see a hit and miss I would free spool the line and count until 5. The two times I did this hooked up with a eye. I will try this again. Nice fish.
jeff

·
Registered
179 Posts
I ran past Edgewater this morning and I dont think I've seen the lake so flat. I bet you could have seen the ripple effect if you were casting today. :D

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Nice post and pics.I can tell by the pics that I would not do well in that area.All those boats in the background and around me would drive me insane.

·
multi species angler
4,370 Posts
I ran past Edgewater this morning and I dont think I've seen the lake so flat. I bet you could have seen the ripple effect if you were casting today. :D
It was an absolute sheet of glass this morning!

·
Flatulent Entreprenuer
2,601 Posts
Nice post and pics.I can tell by the pics that I would not do well in that area.All those boats in the background and around me would drive me insane.
We had one problem while we were out, had a guy run right up on us, never looked our direction. He came up on our left side and never made a move to give way, we had to pull 2 lines and power turn to get out of the way. Jeff, you truly are a linguistic maverick! I will leave that to interpretation!!:D

Now, to the good stuff. I was supposed to get out with Getfish, but long story short, ended up out with Jeff. It didn't matter as we were able to get Ken right out with us. Hot color for us was definately a double willow blue blade with blue and white beads, 3oz inlines, 1.8 to 2.1. Started with an 85 back and worked our way through 75 and 65 as the day progressed. Several doubles throughout the morning and as Jeff stated, we had 2 strikes that as soon as we saw them, flip to freespool for a 3 to 5 count, flip it back, and fish on. I've used that technique a lot when drifting but it obviously works with the inlines as well. Awesome trip Jeff, we ended with 13 boated, (we needed 1 last one and got a double on the end, so one went back to grow) missed at least 10 fish. I had such a blast. 2 man limit by 10:30. Jeff, you know your stuff and thank you for a great trip. Ken, you're next. I will teach you the ways of the lost fish and monster sheephead!!

Beautiful day, great fishing, awesome trip!

·
Flatulent Entreprenuer
2,601 Posts
Oh, and Jeff, you need a bigger cooler!

·
multi species angler
4,370 Posts
We had one problem while we were out, had a guy run right up on us, never looked our direction. He came up on our left side and never made a move to give way, we had to pull 2 lines and power turn to get out of the way. Jeff, you truly are a linguistic maverick! I will leave that to interpretation!!:D

Now, to the good stuff. I was supposed to get out with Getfish, but long story short, ended up out with Jeff. It didn't matter as we were able to get Ken right out with us. Hot color for us was definately a double willow blue blade with blue and white beads, 3oz inlines, 1.8 to 2.1. Started with an 85 back and worked our way through 75 and 65 as the day progressed. Several doubles throughout the morning and as Jeff stated, we had 2 strikes that as soon as we saw them, flip to freespool for a 3 to 5 count, flip it back, and fish on. I've used that technique a lot when drifting but it obviously works with the inlines as well. Awesome trip Jeff, we ended with 13 boated, (we needed 1 last one and got a double on the end, so one went back to grow) missed at least 10 fish. I had such a blast. 2 man limit by 10:30. Jeff, you know your stuff and thank you for a great trip. Ken, you're next. I will teach you the ways of the lost fish and monster sheephead!!

Beautiful day, great fishing, awesome trip!
Good job on the fish! I had a similar problem with a boat that would not budge one bit off course. I guess its hard to get a little respect from certain guys when you are a small boat in a big boat pond:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Long time reader but rarely post. Getting back into fishing Erie after almost 20 years. My question is how do the guys fishing solo manage the inline boards? What's your technique ? I'm still fumbling around with it. Thanks.

·
Flatulent Entreprenuer
2,601 Posts
Let me see if I can answer as my experience with this is very limited. Reel up to the board, grab the line BEHIND the board and keep tension on it, set the rod down, remove the board with your rod hand, set the board down, pick up the rod, all the while KEEPING TENSION ON THE LINE!!, (very important), pick up the rod and pull back until there is no slack line from your rod tip to your hand, resume reeling in the fish. It's really not too hard as long as you keep tension on the line. If you give them and inch of slack, they will come off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm headed out that way on Sat. Can I talk ya into sharing info via pm? I don't usually fish Lorain because the boat is up in Catawba, so it's a run just to get there. Congrats on the haul though! A buddy was slaying perch today near Edgewater, 1 Fish Ohio.

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments!

Donkey, it was a mad house out there especially as the day went on...to my suprise it was a lot of boats out there at 7AM. You couldn't hardly troll straight for more than 10 minutes at times without having to deviate course to avoid their boat or boards and lines. What few boats you see in that background multiply that times 20!

John, it alot like what Wannabitawerm said...except I don't put my rod down, I'm 6'3 and have long arms so I hold the rod in my left hand and reach up to the tip and undo both clips with my right hand, then finish reeling the fish in...and as Sam said keep the tension on the line so he doesn't spit those hooks.

Another thing that worked to get the fish to hit very violently today was sharp S-turns, that kind that causes your inside board to stall and the outside to speed up and dig hard...Those fish must have thought those willows were either flat dead or running for their life, it never let me down when I want to entice a bite. Another thing I did was run close to the fishing nets out there and took a fish or two as I passed by.

Sharp Charge, what info are you looking for? PM me and I'll see what I can do. If you are looking for GPS #'s you don't need them... just look for the parking lot on water :D lol. PM me

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome job out there! Hey Tubuzz, were you flatlining the weights or running them off boards. Just trying to understand your free-spooling method and want to get it right before I try it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wannabitawerm (Sam) who was out with Tubuzz.....
Now THERE is a pair of trouble makers if I ever seen 'em...:D

Way to go fellas ! ! ! !

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome job out there! Hey Tubuzz, were you flatlining the weights or running them off boards. Just trying to understand your free-spooling method and want to get it right before I try it.

johnnyb, he was using the weights behind boards with tattle flags. What he was describing was the flag would lay down signalling that a fish was on...then pop back up momments later, so he would let more line out (freespooling) allowing the board to drift backwards. I'm no expert, but walleye have been said to follow bait/ lures for distances, take a nip at, follow some more, and when it changes its movement they pounce on it. Gary Zart also does this; as well as talk about it in his seminars...he describes it as feeding them the worm. I reported in a previous post in this thread about my S-turns and making them abrupt, and when I did either the board/ bait stalled or increased in speed...that change in lure action prompted the fish to strike.

Hope this explaination helped...if you have any other questions, ask away.

·
Just keepin' ya honest.
136 Posts
Get Fish that exact same thing was doing well for us yesterday. A couple times we had them hit so hard on the stalled board it burried it for 10-15 seconds.

It was a definately a good pas couple days out there, my uncle and I fished out there Tuesday and Wednesday and got limits both days. Tuesday It took us quite awhile to figure out the program.....but here it is. 82 back on #1 dipsy 3 setting. 94 back on 40 jet on inline board. couldnt buy a fish on spoons or cranks. speed was 2.1-2.2. best color was watermelon with green/red beads. runner up was a white based mixed veggies pattern, which took the biggest fish at 29 3/4. Had another one on about same size and it broke the leader line right at the boat. Wednesdays program we did the same leads, but the speed was 1.7 early on and 1.9 by the end of the day. Mixed veggies was still hot wednesday, and bull frog was. Both days it wasn't fast and furious but we managed 2 tickets in about 4 hours both days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts