Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of Lorain today for the 'eyes. We tried a spot over west between Vermillion and huron first, following a "hot tip" from another fisherman that turned out to be a wild goose chase. The fish were there, but could not get them going at all. We picked up and came back east to where we fished last week and got right into fish. Then, about noon, some horrendous wind kicked up and turned the lake into 4-6 footers that were CLOSE together and ran us off the lake. We did manage to pull 18 'eyes in about 2 1/2 hours before the onslaught of weather. Best program was big dypsies, #4--110' back with various copper backed stingers and 20' jets, back 150' with same spoons. Confusion seemed to be a good choice for color. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
I was in that wind as well. I trolled for about an hour on the 31-13 line, picked up one eye, lost another. Then came the winds. Talk about getting soaked to the bone (and I had a rainsuit on). The winds changed direction about 180 degrees in minutes, and it was white knuckles all the way in.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How the heck could a guy have a hot tip first thing in the morning after the blow we had? I also heard the news(gps# 30/13) about 9a.m. and sent all folks I could reach via cell to high tail it over.
They slammed them in the area you were in today!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
sounds like a lot of fun till the weather changed. can you tell me
if your using fireline or nylon, it will make a difference on the depth
or the footage out. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We fished out of Avon...around 16 mi. out and around noon the winds picked up but not too bad with the waves...we could see the darker clouds nearer to shore at Lorain...we stayed out all day and caught 8 steel head and one walleye...It was bouncy most of the day with 2 to 3 foot wind waves and 4 to 5 foot swells left over from the previous days 4 to 6 foot wind waves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Erie Bait---I do live in Akron, so did not realize how blown out the lake was Fri. However, we were one of the first few back to the area you're talking about and did real well. I went back today and the fish that were there yesterday were scattered today. I managed only 3 and that was north of yesterday's spot. SLOW bite today(Sunday).

In answer to the other gentleman, we were using 30# rip cord, which is equivalent to fire line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ErieBaitShop said:
How the heck could a guy have a hot tip first thing in the morning after the blow we had? I also heard the news(gps# 30/13) about 9a.m. and sent all folks I could reach via cell to high tail it over.
They slammed them in the area you were in today!!!!!

Number one reason not to always tell people where you are fishing---get bombarded by everyone on the lake because it is broadcast openly to just anyone. Went from 8-10 boats at 10AM to 30 boats by noon. :eek: :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts