close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loose reel seats

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Bobinstow90, Jul 27, 2007.

1. A couple 8' trolling rods I own have reel seats that turn on the rod shaft.

Does anyone know of a way to re-glue the reel seat to the rod blank without having to take off the eva foam butt grip?

Wondering if it's possible to drill thru the seat to the rod blank.....and then squeeze some glue or epoxy into the holes.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

2. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Thats exactly what you do. You can use epoxy as a first choice but if there is not enough room between the seat and blank you can go with super glue. Super glue can be a little messy though.

3. hey bob,

superglue worked for me. just be cautious when applying, it can drip or run down on the handle, etc. Used it on my steelhead rod and it has held up for a year now. good luck

4. You might also consider trying Rhino glue, which is available in the paint department at Walmart.

It expands a bit as it dries, which will put more tension between the surfaces you're bonding.

It also has more of a rubbery grip on the smooth surfaces you're working with.

5. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Used a Dremel powertool to drill into the composite reel seat in 4 places...two on each side. Very little space between the seat and rod blank so I went with SuperGlue because its thin and runs. Kept refilling the holes with drops of glue and it ran inside.

They seem pretty solid now. Time will tell.