Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I kid you not, I bought this whole box for a price SO LOW, I am ashamed to share. Suffice it to say, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm going to have to study up on effective fishing with Zara Spooks. :)

Fishing has been a little slow lately. I think the weather is really messing with what people have been telling me are local fish habits, and based on the lack of amazing posts lately, I'd say everyone else is finding the same thing. I've been reading, brushing up on fly fishing, and playing Bass Pro Shops "The Strike" on my son's Wii to keep me from going out of my mind. How is everyone else coping?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

I kid you not, I bought this whole box for a price SO LOW, I am ashamed to share. Suffice it to say, it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm going to have to study up on effective fishing with Zara Spooks. :)

Fishing has been a little slow lately. I think the weather is really messing with what people have been telling me are local fish habits, and based on the lack of amazing posts lately, I'd say everyone else is finding the same thing. I've been reading, brushing up on fly fishing, and playing Bass Pro Shops "The Strike" on my son's Wii to keep me from going out of my mind. How is everyone else coping?
Nice score!! But, as far as the fishing goes you're missing out if you're looking for them on the Wii!!!!! :eek:

With the good weather yesterday the water was crowded to say the least . . . had a pack of 20 + cabrewers roll up my fishing hole and back down again banging on rocks and metal. It was discouraging to think how they were affecting the bite. I had a little satisfaction hooking a 15" SMB that jumped right next to one of the canoe boats. :)

But the weather is looking stable for the extended forecast. Get out there and get you some. The morning and evening bites should produce better right now but I've had some daddy fish landed in the middle of the dog days of summer. Plus catching fish is only half the fun.

You couldn't have came across a better score of lures at a better time in the year either. Throw a Heddon on and hold on!!!!! ;)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I hit the Wii on evenings I can't get out. Connor and I have landed probabky nearly 30 small blue gill at a pond with our new fly rods. We hit a creek, then PC lake. He was skunked again, but I caught a smallie at the creek, and a blue gill at PC. Today, we hit a private pond, amd I landed a LMB early with a nasty upper jaw injury. Looked like he got spun up in some line.

All that to say thay while it's bee uneventful lately, we're still getting out there when we can.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been throwing the spook a lot lately. Best if used on medium action rod and mono line (fluoro sinks and braid doesn't have any stretch) with a loop knot. If the shad are flipping then the bass are nearby so toss it out and twitch it (for that walk the dog action) with the rod tip down (a shorter rod works better - I use a 6'6") on a semi-slack line. When a fish strikes the lure you need to wait until you feel the weight before you set the hook. They tend to miss it a lot on the first (or 2nd or 3rd) time but just keep twitching it and they'll usually connect. Adjust the speed (cadence) until you have what they like...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Very versatile bait.

Caught this smallmouth, and many others just like him using a 6 inch Fire-Tiger Super Spook on a recent trip to Canada while fishing for Pike and Muskies. Even caught a Walleye on it just before dark - Didn't know a walleye would hit a surface plug.

You've got one exactly like it in your newly acquired treasure chest.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very versatile bait.

Caught this smallmouth, and many others just like him using a 6 inch Fire-Tiger Super Spook on a recent trip to Canada while fishing for Pike and Muskies. Even caught a Walleye on it just before dark - Didn't know a walleye would hit a surface plug.

You've got one exactly like it in your newly acquired treasure chest.
Noted. And that, sir, is a fish you have there!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Spooks are one of my favorite topwater baits! You have to make it dance but when you catch one on it it is a very rewarding catch. Its not just a "throw it out and reel it back in" type of lure. You have to learn how to use it effectively. But it is fairly easy to learn. One thing about spook is that a fish may strike and miss several times before connecting. meaning you may get 3-5 strikes before actually hooking the fish. They will usually keep hitting it until they feel the hooks.

BTW: I'm quite curious how much you spent! LOL! You can share here, Where all friends!! Ha Ha!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.