close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking to go to Michigan for ice

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Pikedaddy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Pikedaddy

Pikedaddy just catch 'em'

Since I am off of work for the next week I am thinking about heading up to Michigan . The problem is that I dont have any clue where to go . I have been seeing that they now have ice on alot of there lakes . If anybody has any info on Michigan lakes that are within a reasonable drive it would be greatly appreciated.

Some might think that im nuts but I need to get out.

P daddy
    Bob

2. 1. Check Iceshanty.com under Michigan for current posts.

2. you might want to contact Basspro at Auburn MI... northwest of Detroit. They'd put you in touch with guys who know the lakes and current ice condtions.

3. swone

swone ol' pal Steve

there is a recent post called ice in michigan in which I ask the same question and get some great answers. Good luck and let us know what you do. If you tear them up be sure to email me some gps numbers! I am hoping to go after the first of the year.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=108320

this is the link to that thread. I think you will find all the info you need and this location is only a 6 hour drive and the hotel is less than 50 bucks a night

4. Devils Lake just north of Adrian Mi. This is a pretty good lake, good size, clear, and multi species. Crappie,Perch,Walleye,Gills....It's about 2-2.5 hours from west Cleveland. It is ready to go now and the bite is heating up. If the weather dumps this week then that's where I'll be drilling over the weekend.

5. I went to Vineyard the other day. It had about 5 inches of ice on it. Did'nt catch a fish, nor did I venture out too far since I was the only one on the lake.

6. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

This one goes a little beyond "reasonable drive" but my wife and I are heading up to the UP Fri and Sat to fish Little Bay De Noc in Gladstone. They are driving trucks on the ice up there and the perm shanties are in place. Talked to Mark at Hawg Heaven and he said the Walleye and Perch bite is on. We are fishing out of his shanties, hope he puts us on some fish. It's about a 9 hour drive but it offers a bit more than the panfish and small pike that the lakes of lower Michigan offer. Not knocking panfish, they're my favorite, just like to ice some nice walleye and jumbo Perch for a change.

7. hawgjam

hawgjam smell my finger

Papawsmith...good luck up there. Be careful driving off of Kipling...it's early and they had a barge go thru about 1 1/2 weeks ago. If you haven't before, be sure to stop in at the factory and get some half price swedish pimples. Is that mark paloza at hawg heaven? get out and hit the pork chop...nice flats for eyes and pike.

8. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Mark Paloza it is. And I won't be driving off of Kipling, I'll be riding. Mark will be driving. ;) It is a bit early but they have had a lot of sub zero nights and the reports are that the ice is solid. Hope to find that the early season bite is prime, we'll see. Even if it's not, the shanty will be warm, the beer will be REALLY cold, I'll be relaxed and in great company (my wife) so the trip should be perfect.

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

PapawSmith,

If you take a second trip up this year and are lonely let me know.

10. hawgjam

hawgjam smell my finger

Beg him for his big shanty. You can't stand up in the small one and the furnace is a lot better in the big one.

11. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

We got the big one, set up for four. I told Mark that if we got a shanty that we had to crawl around in on our hands and knees, or if she gets cold that my wife would never go again. :p I told him I'd pay extra for a big shack to make sure that doesn't happen.
    And Lundy, I'm a sucker. If the bite is good this week there will be a second trip really soon! I'll let you know.