close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

looking to get a kayak

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by |jeff|, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I want to get my first kayak. I fish the little miami mostly and was wondering if any one had and tips or what to look for . sit on top or sit inside. I was looking at a ocean caper sit on top kayak. I was just wondering what other kayak owners are using out on the local rivers and creeks. thanks for any info.

jeff

2. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

check out Nature Outfitters in Old Milford. They carrry the Wilderness Systems line of fishing designed sit on top kayaks, They are set up very nice with built in rod holders, anchor system. and comfortaple seats, They come in some different sizes Its the Tarpon series you want to look at. They also several other options. Stop in and tell them Steve from down the street sent you over to look at some fishing kayaks. Real nice people and know the lmr very well. S

3. fshnteachr

fshnteachr Lovin' the Outdoors

My kayak is a Heritage, 9ft long. I think my actual 'yak is discontinued, but they have very similiar models available. I got mine on Ebay. $300 kayak for $180, I had to travel to Kokomo, Ind. to pick it up but it was worth it. It is a great little boat. Very stable, great for fishing.

Here is a good webpage

http://www.heritagekayaks.com/index.htm

4. I paddle and fish out of a 10 foot Mainstream kayak (maybe $350?), and it works well, especially if I'm on smaller rivers with little slack water. I also have fished a lot out of an 11 foot Old Town Loon and a 9.5 foot Mainstream ocean kayak-- borrowed from my buddies. All three have been very stable, easy to transport, and easy to use on LMR-sized rivers. (The Loon tracked better/runs faster in slack water, but it's more expensive. You get more sun-- for better or worse-- on a sit-on-top.) My next yak will be 11-12 foot long Dagger or Perception (made by same company), with a drop-down skeg and waterproof bulkhead-- that'll run around $500-600. The only reason I'll bump up a bit in length and features is to track better in slow water and be a little safer in lakes/river impoundments with some watertight compartments.

Last month, I started looking to upgrade and found the best local prices here:
    http://www.ddoutfitters.com/. (Although, the owner showed up 45 minutes late to work, so I was pist and didn't buy anything.) Have fun-- I've never regreted buying a kayak and look forward to buying my second at the end of the season (since my wife's now addicted, too.)

5. I have a Pelican Castaway 12' sit on top kayak that I am very pleased with. It is light enough to be easy to carry and has plenty of storage space and several rod holders.
    I didn't buy at this place, but would suggest a trip to Whitewater Outfitters in Dayton. They will let you take any model they carry out for a test paddle. Their accessories are all high end, so buy them at Gander or Dicks of something, but you can't beat a no-strings test paddle.

6. thanks for all the good info. been wading for so long I am ready to stop falling on rocks and trying not to step in a hole that is deeper than I am tall. I am going to go out tomorrow and check out a few places and see what I can find. with any luck I will be floating before summers end.

7. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

I have a 12' Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. I love it....best purchase I have ever made for myself. Extremely stable and easy to maneuver. They are around $750 new, but you may be able to find a sale if you look hard enough. I got mine at D&D outfitters in forest Park for $601.73 after tax!! I rarely ever wade fish anymore since I got my Yak. It is the best way to get to the honey holes!!

8. I have a 11 foot Old Town Excursion. It will run you under 500 dollars. I love it but of course you saw it the other day. The only bad thing it that it is a sit in. Ronnie

9. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I like the SInK type myself. I bought an Old Town Otter from Dicks several years ago during a sale (maybe $125). It was barely big enough for me, but I thought I'd get it and try it since it was cheap. I still haven't replaced it and I've put it throught the ringer over the years. I just epoxied the bottom (proactively :)) this year. For a starter yak on the low end, the Otter works great. Just plan to spend a few more bucks for the accessories ($75-$100) like foot rests, spray skirt, bunge, etc.

Although if you can find an outfitter that will let you try them out, maybe you won't need a starter yak. I'm not sure how much you can learn about fishing from the yak on a test paddle, but it sounds like it would be worth a shot.

I think Dicks has those sales in the fall? Canoes and kayaks are 50% off.

CW

10. fshnteachr

You mention epxoy....I have heard of that but don't know anything about it. My seat is cracking, would that fix it? Where do I buy it? Any info would be appreciated.

11. Try using some JB Weld or JB Quik. this stuff is extreemly strong and you can use it on just about any surface. you can get the stuff from Wal-mart or lowes. either one will work and they are a cheap and easy fix.

As far as kayaks. I have a perception sundace 9 1/2 feet long. it is gret for fishing out of. personally I really like the sit in kayaks. the sundance is very stable. I bought it new from whitewater warehouse in dayton about 5 years ago and have used it a bunch. kayaks are graet for fishing because you can get to your fishing spots easier than wadeing and you can sneak up on the fish since they are so quiet in the water. I would suugeest buying one that is less than 10 feet long. the shorter kayaks are eaiser to manuver which is really what you are looking fo if you are fishing. there are lots of places you can find kayaks to buy. like Gander mountain, Dicks, Bass Pro or used from the news paper or ebay. if you do get a kayak to fish out of I would suggest getting a anchor for it because the current in the rivers will move you off your spot before you are done fishing it.

Hope this helps good luck!

12. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I think I got it at BPS but its been a while since I bought and just recently used it. I do think it would fix your seat. You could probably get it at any home improvement store or marine store. One thing about epoxy that makes it a little difficult is that it comes in two tubes and you have to mix it at application time. I've had one of the tubes (the hardener I think) dry up on me making the rest of it useless.

There's only a few things the stuff won't work on. We used it to cement a piece of our hearth that had cracked off 3 years ago and its still holding!

I'd suggest the epoxy over the JB Weld or JB Quik unless it can also be used to fill gouges and such in the bottom of your yak.

I've had my yak patched since earlier in the spring, but haven't used it but a few times in rough water (rocky water), so I can't swear by it yet. Sure seems like it will last, but I need some time to be sure.

CW

13. fshnteachr

14. I have spent the day getting info and reading reviews. I still have no clue what to get lol. I really like the WS tarpon 120. The price is much higher than I was looking at but it gets really good reviews. then there are the sit in yak's and I don't see as much storage room in those and the lack of pole holders which I imagine can be added with a little work. seems a lot of folks fish out of the otters and they are under 300$ which is what i was looking at. I am not going to get anything till by b-day in September so there may be some good sales towards then. Keep the good info coming

thanks jeff
    www.imdunn.com/fishing

15. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

OK...lots of good responses and tips for kayak selection so I thought I would put my 2 cents in as well. The first question I ask is How serious do you want to be about the fishing out of your yak? Is it the only use for it or for just pleasure paddling too? If you want a FISHING kayak I believe you should start with this for advice....
    1. A smaller kayak may be eaiser to maneuver, but a longer kayak is much more stable and "tracks" MUCH better than a small Kayak. It also has more storage, which to me is important with all the fishing crap I bring, coolers, etc...
    2. A sit inside kayak may be alittle dryer than a sit on top, but I like to feel the water alittle, it cools me off. A sit on top kayak excels in that it is WAY easier to get in and out of. I am a big guy, 250lbs and the OLD Town otter is difficult to get in and out of. On my Tarpon, I just straddle, sit, and lift my legs onto the pegs. NO EFFORT. Not to mention it is probably stable enough stand in (but I havent tried...lol)
    3. Sit on tops have alot better room for accessories that are really necessities...like rod holders etc...I prefer the flush mount vs the recessed that you use on sit in yaks.

In my opinion, which may only matter to me, the only advantage of the smaller sit in's for fishing is the price. Otters are $250 right now at BPS and Dicks, much cheaper if you shop. A good Sit ontop will cost you atleast $500, and up to $1,500 you are really frisky. I paid $700 total including accessories and paddle for my Tarpon 120. I did fish out of an Otter about 10 times before I purchased my Yak, it was a night and day difference!
    Whatever you buy, I am sure you will like! If you want to try mine out let me know and I could let you have a brief spin (but not at my fishing holes...lol).
    Good luck in your search!

16. I really did like that tarpon went and looked at one over at nature outfitters . Good looking kayak. I like the "idea" of being able to stand up . I have yet to see any pictures of people doing so but it seems to be possible. And as mentioned the storage space would be nice. There are so many ones to look at and each seems to have its good and bads guess its just going to come down to price as it normally does. All this info has been great its helped me alot thanks to all for helping.

jeff