close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking to explore the Chagrin a little more

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Pikedaddy, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Pikedaddy

Pikedaddy just catch 'em'

Im looking to check out some area on the Chagrin.I want to go to Mitchell field or Chagrin river park .Are these area's productive Iusually only fish Todds field when I go to the Chagrin. Any info would be appreciated .

good fishin

2. Pikedaddy

Thanks for the info but I did fish it in the past but after it fell last year you cant wade into it

3. u can still wade in there

4. Pikedaddy

nice last I saw it was taped off I might have to check it out,but how has the flow been are you from there?

5. yea i live close by, and the river has been pretty low but the fish are there

6. Sir Gallon Hat

Sir Gallon Hat birth, fishing, death

I've waded from the soccer fields near lakeshore blvd. all the way up to wilson mills rd. over a three-day spree. There are fish everywhere, and hey, the smallmouth bass can get pretty big!

It gets awfully treacherous at times, of course. Just make sure you're fishing in semi-clear water. You don't want to traverse that river blind! And stay out of slack water runs. Even in low water the Chagrin can get deeper than your head, and is seldom uniform in depth from side-to-side. Besides, that's usually where the fish are. There are stretches of fissured shale that wedge and convolute for acres at a time. These, in my experience, are the most dangerous areas. They're oil-slippery and don't forgive the most minute error in balance. Beaver dam areas can get nasty as well. I've been surrounded by three of them at once, and they were not happy with my presence. Next thing I know, I'm trying to avoid a man-rodent confrontation in three feet of unyielding silt.

Also, bring some sort of flashlight or lamp if you're going in after 4pm. this time of year. Some of the banks are generally inaccessable, and when you've found a hot spot, the sun can slip away like a bag of peanuts. Everyone's been there before - 'one more cast' you say to yourself 'then I'm outta here' -before you know it, you're scaling a 10-11 foot bank and feverishly looking for a footpath through the woods in total darkness.