Ohio Game Fishing banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
wally72
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's tough being 59 yrs. old and trying to find something that pays a little. Was working a job that paid good and thinking just hang in there for three more years. I am finding out in our area places know they don't have to pay anything because everyone is trying to get a job. Worked hard all my life to get where I had a good shift and a decent amount of vacation and now it's all gone. Just wanted to vent a little. Hopefully things will improve.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
May want to look into the oil and gas industry. A lot of the support companies are growing fast, have to pay decent to well, and need good help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
What do you do?

·
wally72
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I worked for a printing company and ran a large press. I have worked on the farm and done a lot of Maintenance, but no certifications. The only printing jobs I can find are about an hour and a half drive from here. I'll find something to do just may not be what I want to do, I'll just have to put off the Canada trips for a few years. I knew I should have gone to college and got smart.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
College is over rated. I'm lucky enough to work in the field I majored in, however I am under earning when you consider I have a masters that makes me more qualified than my boss when you look at our resumes.

I've interviewed at several places only to be told that due to my qualifications they believe that I would be under employed and leave.

I've had managers look at my app and resume, laugh, and tell me that they wouldn't interview me because of my education alone.

So, college isn't always worth it, and a masters is even less worth it! If I had stayed out of college I wouldn't have any debt like I do now; hell, if I never got my masters I would probably still be making more money. Not to mention I would prob have a new job too!

Sorry, this time into a rant. I hope you find something you like soon ass make it back to Canada. That sounds like fun!

Mr. A

·
Charter Captain
1,211 Posts
May want to look into the oil and gas industry. A lot of the support companies are growing fast, have to pay decent to well, and need good help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
i work for one of the bigger oil and gas suppliers out there and we are slow!!

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
I was in technical writing, but that dried up. I'm looking around online writing jobs, and the market is dismal. I see listings with things like "Compensation: Experience" meaning I'm competing against people who are working for free. There are "content mills" where people write articles or blog entries for pennies, and there are plenty of stories about never getting paid.

Edited to add: I see writers complaining about having a good gig working for some content company, and when word gets out about it, they get swamped with people low-balling bids and it becomes a "race to the bottom" to get any work for the lowest wage. It's just like people here complaining about a secret honey hole that gets revealed online, and then trashed.

There are countless scams. I responded to an ad for writers. Turns out it's filling out product surveys for pay, for a particular company. Look closer, and it turns out you're trying out products and services, using your own credit card, and it's up to you to cancel during whatever free trial period, or else you're stuck with the cost.

Meanwhile, on a local TV station site, the comments at the end of the news stories are filling up with crap like "I can't believe I'm making $8000 per month sitting at my computer..." Yeah right.

I've been doing yard work in the heat of summer for cash, at age 55.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
We are usually hiring for something. Check out Cintas website for job postings. I know our location is currently looking for a wash alley operator. Our alley is entirely automated. That being said, if you're not paying attention to it, it can quickly become not automated because you'll be picking garments up off the floor.

Throughout the last 4-5 years worth of stellar economy we have never laid anyone off. It's stable, you won't need Obamacare, good matching 401k and opportunities for advancement. Just show up to work everyday, on time and don't be lazy.

I can't speak for other locations, but ours over here on the west side of Columbus does very well.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I knew I should have gone to college and got smart.
Then, you could be overqualified like my wife. She finally got a job in her field after 4 years! She has a master's degree and is only making $12k! She has tried to get jobs that are not in her field and has been told she doesn't have the right experience or is overqualified. The student loan debt is sinking us as well!

I sure do miss Rice Lake in Canada! Good luck on your job search!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
What did you study?
Started in Agriculture, switched to Natural Resources, ended up getting degree in photography.

I did work in the photog field for a few years. However, wasnt any good. Couldnt create the vision I would have in my head. Ended up getting frustrated and depressed. Bout the time I stopped Photog, I started having a family and I elected to stay home and raise the kids. I do not regret going to college. I do regret not taking it more seriously. I could not understand why I had to take all these silly electives that really had nothing to do with my major. Then later years after graduation, people started asking questions about different things and I actually knew the answer. Because of those silly electives. The other thing I've noticed, just working at the grocery store, people with the college education are able to think through problems. You almost can tell who went to college just by working with them. I do believe college is important... but, something has to be done about the cost of furthering your education. I am beginning to believe the cost of education is more of a problem then obamacare.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Started in Agriculture, switched to Natural Resources, ended up getting degree in photography.

I did work in the photog field for a few years. However, wasnt any good. Couldnt create the vision I would have in my head. Ended up getting frustrated and depressed. Bout the time I stopped Photog, I started having a family and I elected to stay home and raise the kids. I do not regret going to college. I do regret not taking it more seriously. I could not understand why I had to take all these silly electives that really had nothing to do with my major. Then later years after graduation, people started asking questions about different things and I actually knew the answer. Because of those silly electives. The other thing I've noticed, just working at the grocery store, people with the college education are able to think through problems. You almost can tell who went to college just by working with them. I do believe college is important... but, something has to be done about the cost of furthering your education. I am beginning to believe the cost of education is more of a problem then obamacare.
Going to college doesn't make you smart or prepared for life. I know so many people that went to college and majored in something stupid and now owe all kinds of money in college loans and make 20-25,000 a year. I tried college for a year realized it wasn't for me and became a truck driver which is what I wanted to be anyway. Now I make around 60-70,000 a year. And there are driving jobs that pay more than that. Parents of kids going to college should really go over with them what they are likely to make in the job associated with their major before paying for college. Too many people have unrealistic expectations of making 100,000/yr just because they go to college.

·
name of Alex
4,719 Posts
I got a master's degree in journalism, and back in the day that did open some doors for me.

I got screwed by market forces. In the biz, there's the "build or buy" decision - "build" meant a company hired its own programmers, computer administrators, tech writers, etc. "Buy" means instead of having your own full-time staff, you hire a team of contractors to come in and customize/install a program or system, and then they leave, and they're off the payroll instead of sitting around drawing pay, waiting to be needed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Book smart doesn't make you street smart and just because you are educated in what you want to do doesn't mean you are needed.

Even "dumb" people make it out of college. Just as "intelligent" people quit.

My education was worth every penny!!!!

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Parents of kids going to college should really go over with them what they are likely to make in the job associated with their major before paying for college. Too many people have unrealistic expectations of making 100,000/yr just because they go to college.
i agree with this 100%! I have thought about threatening to not pay for kids (no kids yet) college unless they choose a worthwhile major. If they choose a major like communications, they can pay it themselves!

·
Banned
6,234 Posts
Most of the points being made are very valid...A degree right now will get your foot in the door quicker than a HS diploma, Experience in a field will also trump a HS diploma, in some cases a Masters degree is needed to advance.
The Job market is still troublesome, we are not even close to where employment rates need to be for people to start making back money that has been lost in the last couple downturns...and the market, no matter what the Gov or other say, is soft and stagnent at best.
This is a "Company Market", they can pick and choose and low ball people who need jobs! When an economy is moving forward, is when employees have a chance to increase pay by moving to better jobs or playing bidders against each other.
College costs are a joke...but if you don't work and are being "Taken Care Of" by the State or Government, your education is Free, if you want! The problem is most of these people do not take advantage of the "Gift", because they just don't want to work!
People that do have a work ethic, must find a way to pay Hundreds of Thousands of dollars for that education...and right now they are not finding jobs where they can pay that money back, have a family, and enjoy life!
Times are tough for the "Working Man"!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
i agree with this 100%! I have thought about threatening to not pay for kids (no kids yet) college unless they choose a worthwhile major. If they choose a major like communications, they can pay it themselves!
I've thought about the same thing. I hope that this myth of "just get that piece of paper" has disappeared. From my k-12 days, my family always said to just get a degree, it doesn't matter what it is in, employers just like to see that piece of paper.

What a complete crock of **it. Those days are long long gone. Those were the days when there were blue collar, well-paying jobs that did not require a degree. Now every one has a useless degree, like dovans(no offense buddy, but what did you expect?).

I'll also say that many of the people...if not all of the people I know that have degrees are some of the most ignorant people I know. They know nothing outside of what their book told them. Sure, they can put together a report or crap like that....

If I was not nearly done with college(finally) and if I had not already racked up all the debt then I would quit.

As far as the cost of tuition. Look at it this way... Nearly all colleges of a leftist agenda. The books show this agenda. The Univerisities do research in many areas. But this takes $$$$$$$. So tuition goes up. People can't afford it, and furthermore a degree is not needed for a good blue collar job. Blue collar jobs slowly disappear. Job market more competitive. Many can't afford tuition. Government to the rescue!!!! Just take out students loans, problem solved. Tuition can go as high as the universities want to make it. Book prices are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The government makes a little off loan interest, Universities get their money as long as they teach what the government wants them to teach. Think of those GEC type classes as your brainwashing sessions. After all, you can't really work a liberal agenda into an engineering class. The publishers can rake in the cash as long as they publish the message in their books and they come out with a new edition all the time, so that old book is no good and students must buy new. How many new editions of a math book are needed? How often has math changed in the last 500 years?

What's worse is that employers, who mostly have degrees, are of the mentality that job candidates are nothing without a degree. This country was not built by a bunch of people that had degrees. I wonder how many Fortune 500 companies were started by a person without a degree?

I'm going to go take a baby aspirin and sit in a dark corner :) :curse::Banane45:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.