Looking for some Camera suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by corndawg, Nov 21, 2007.

1. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

I want to get a new camera (I’m hoping Santa will bring me one) and was looking for some suggestion. Nothing too expensive ($100 - $200) because I’ll have it on the water with me. I would like it to be able to take clear close up shots of fish so I’m thinking a macro button would be nice. Any feedback and sample pics would be appreciated.

2. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I am a fan of Canon's digital ELPH's. The SD750 just recently came down to $250 or so. You can read up all the specs. For use on the water it is easy to operate with a fish in one hand. The build on the Canon is a little more robust than some of the competiiton... compact but solid with a nice heft. If you want it completely waterproof you can order a competely sealed case for use underwater. I haven't shot any field stuff in macro... but I have lots of work related pics shot macro, no flash, things like that.

3. i just got my daughter the canon elph 870---it is incredible!---pricey--$340---but 8.1 megapixel will give you detail---macros are great ---i know a bunch of people that have the 750 and love it---i can send you some pics that were taken with the 870 just pm me

4. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Consumer Reports lists Panasonic as having the least number of repairs needed, followed by Sony and Olympus.

Nikon Coolpics take great pics, a few members here have them to post with.
    They are nice, small cameras in your price range also.

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

you dont want to use macro mode for fish pics. macro mode is for like 10" away, perfectly still subjects like flowers and that sort of thing. a pic from 2' away with bright conditions should take a crystal clear pic and then you can edit the pic later. sometimes i take two pics and end up tossing the weaker pic out. when it comes to pics, practice makes perfect and digital film is free. :D

its amazing what you can get for $150-$200 nowadays. Ive had good luck with Sony, olympus, my sis and dad with canon. i have had one kodak i hated, and a couple of the sonys seem to be getting made more cheaply nowadays. go for a large glass lens, not a small plastic one. the little plastic lenses give fuzzy pics imo. (i use cams for work.) right now i just got a black olympus thats small and supposed to be waterproof. i like it, but i cant remember the model #.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I bought a Cannon Powershot A560 this season. I like to take pictures, but I'm not a huge camera buff. For the price, I think they'd be hard to beat.

It takes incredible pictures.

7. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3.
    Its around $260.00, but man you get a lot for that, including an excellent 10X optical zoom! !%
    I've been reading owner reviews around the net and its a well liked subcompact super zoom camera.
    I may be looking to do a triple buy here soon. Maybe I can wrangle a discount. :D

8. Heres the one im looking at getting. Its dust proof, shock proof, water proof and can take a hell of a beating. It comes in may different colors. Oh yeah it can handle heat and cold conditions as well. May cost a little more but it will last thur about anything.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287